1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36 wb belt drive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastcat, Jul 11, 2008.

1. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

i am thinking about getting a 36 wb belt drive to mow on hills with and small yards. how do they handle the hills and how hard is it to turn on a hill. what would be some good ones to look at.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Scag 32" that I mow holding ponds with very steep sides and it works just fine. The belt drive on Scag seems pretty darn solid.
  3. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2 belt drive encores and highly recomend them. But if I had to choose another brand id say a exmark with the ECS controls, or maybe a T-bar.
  4. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I used to have a 36" Scag and it was a great mower but the pistol grips will wear you out and the "assisted reverse" sucks. Hydro is the way to go but I couldn't see spending that kind of cash and still can't. You would think they could reduce the prices with less sales but they haven't!:confused:

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

my 48'' Belt WB does fine on hills
  6. fastcat

Can you put a sulkie on them
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you can pull a sulky. I've been using belt drives for years on end and as long as the belts are properly adjusted you shouldn't have a problem even in the wet.
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've used Lesco and Toro. They'll climb any hill, will run sideways along any hill, and can pull a sulky and my 170# butt on 98% of all my work.
  9. fastcat

i am 200# so maybe i should walk behind it for a couple of months first.
  10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My Toro 36 wb has been great. 6 seasons with it. Takes hills well, works well on small properties...put a sulky on it and take on a larger property.