36" wb ferris/ snapper pro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 24/48, Jun 22, 2008.

1. 24/48

24/48 LawnSite Member
    from TX

I am looking to buy a new 36" wb and am looking at the ferris and snapper pro. My concern with the snapper is the weight, 550 lbs. is alot heavier than other wb's. The ferris thumb controls are pretty easy to use but wonder how my thumbs would feel at the end of the day. I have searched both mowers w/o alot of luck. Just wondering if anyboy has any comments on either mower. Anything will help. Have good dealer support on both mowers.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have the new dual hydro snapper pro but we are seriously considering it mainly due to price. We have run that adjustable deck on 2 dual hydro snappers with loop handles and would prefer the pistol on the new snapper. It looks like a pretty solid unit but I have a little worry about those new pump intergrated drive motors they are using. I am sure it is the way of the future and maybe someone can comment on why not to worry about them. The crank height deck is nice and I prefer the Kaw engine.

3. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

What are they selling for?

4. 24/48

24/48 LawnSite Member
    from TX

both around 3k

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We have the Ferris and been happy with it. We don't cut a lot of turf, it probably gets 5-7 hours a week. They hit a wall or something and bent the front caster on one side seriously effected the uniformity of cut. We straightened it out easily . The front caster wheels are supposed to have 50 lbs of air and mine were about flat but you couldn't tell. the valve stem is too close to the hub to get a pressure gage on. These minor problems are the only things that have come up in 9-10 months.

6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

As far as I know, the 36 ferris is still a single hydro right? If the snapper is dual hydro, I'd go with that. The thumb controls on the ferris would not wear your hands out if you mowed a million lawns a day but being a single hydro will wear your body out. My 36 ferris only gets used on about 10 backyards a week and only has 300 hours but its been great so far. Part of me wants to upgrade to a dual hydro so I can get a sulky but the ferris is paid for, is in excellent condition and cuts really well so I'll probably wait on another small wb. Nothing beats the height adjustment on the ferris and it cuts great if you keep the blades sharp.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a SD 36" Ferris in Feb of 2005. By May of 2005 I was looking for another mower and got a gear drive Ferris 36". I still have the SD Ferris but I've only 60 hours on it in 3 years. It cuts great, is very easy on the thumbs and is the easiest to adjust deck I've ever seen. The SD without a brake for either wheel is just awful. I don't even bother to put it on the trailer anymore since it is so difficult to steer especially on hills. It is a nightmare on hills.

8. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

They want $3799 for a 36" here which to me is too high for a IZT machine! It is not enough less than some of the pump wheel motor walks around here!