1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36" wb fixed deck ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mac43rn, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

mac43rn hi this is Mark from

Evansville. You ask me what i use and i prefer Snapper walkbehinds with the loop steering- I use Scag also but don't get the cut of the Snapper-I can't believe Stephans would not let you demo a 36 exmark thats no way to do business. As far a the fixed decks thats all i use all 52" and never have a problem with the scalping but you have to know how to use the machine. You could give Scottys a try he deals in toro and scag hes a great dealer.
    Ive never had a prob-with Stephans not letting me tryout a Z i demoed the Lazer 60 with 25kohler but didn't like the way it cut in wet or grass with dew on it so i have use a Toro Z master 62-25hp. Talk to the owner at Stephans i bet youll get to demo and the 36 i wouldn't worry about a floating deck get a fixed.
    Marks Mowing Service
  2. casey

casey Guest

Looks like a good unit with some useful improvements. The double blade bracket should reduce the blowout problems we have with doubles on the Exmark if it keeps the bottom blade above deck lip & the removable front baffles should be a good feature in tall grass. Looking forward to demoing one. If you had an option to pistols & a floater on the 36 I wouldn't even consider the TTHP.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Everybody talks about scalping with fixed decks !?! Whats with that?? I have never scalped with my 48" fixed and find it darn near impossible to on a 36". The caster and drive tires are out at the edges, so the only scalping you'll do is going over a sharp berm where wheelbase alone would cause it. As for setting heights, I only change the height in the fall and that takes 1 minute! Every yard is cut the same height. Belt drive walkbehinds would have no problem pulling a proslide unless its real wet, or your "festively plump!" :eek:
  4. casey

casey Guest

Mon. to Wed. spring cuts are done at 2" due to rapid growth. Scalping occurs even with a 36" on certain turf areas at this height.
  5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

You could have a floating 18" deck with rollers and scalp northern turf on a ballfield cut a 2".

Fixed/floating doesn't affect scalping until 44" or 48".
  6. casey

casey Guest

Have welded additional anti-scalp rollers on our 36" TTHP. More is definately better, especially on the deck sides for working around sloped tree banks.