36"WB///NO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

For some strange reason people do not want me to use the 36" on their lawns I have used it when no one is home and on large lots......for the most part it stays in the trailer, I pulled it out today and mowed the back yard, as I came close to the a/c unit I thought if I wasn't paying attention I could wipe that unit off its slab////has lots of power,etc..., I then switched to the 21" for some parts of the yard that the 36" couldn't get to...wife gets home and asks when was i gonna mow the rest???It was already done with the 36"??? I then went over the rest of the yard with the 21" and she came back out and said it looked nice?? Its starting to bug me that the 36" isn't what I thought it could be.....I'm lost?? :dizzy:

2. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

wht size yards are ya cutting? i too thought that a 36'' would be perfect for any size yard

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I use the 36 on almost all of my yards from 1500sqft to 25000 sq ft. I even used it on 5 acres before I subed it out to a guy that had a 60. I love it and so does every one else.

4. Toy2

A good chunk of the homes I do have yards that trees are planted 2 feet from the fence, a/c unit in the way, and other obstacles in the way.I also have had homeowners say they got rid of their other LCO due to damage on there yards, fence hit, small scrubs run over, one homeowner showed me where the previous LCO ran over her steel edging, taking the plants with it. I have 3 yards that I use it on, straight open, perfect layout to use it, nothing in the way. I was mowing a small yard last week, across the street a LCO was mowing the front with the 21, then loaded it onto his trailer and unloaded the 36" for the back yard??? I talked to him afterward and he said the same thing, homeowner likes the cut of the small mower in the front, doesn't care what the backyard looks like???

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you let the homeowner start dictating to you what equipment to use you will be in for a long hard road I'm afraid. We put 60" ZTR's on every single property we service except where there is a small gate.

6. Toy2

I have noticed alot of LCO with 21", I see the guys doing the commercial jobs, duplexes, industrial areas on the ZTR and W/B...so not sure what the issue is...if I could do it all over again, i think i would have bought a ZTR for the big stuff..thanks for the info, I agree with you on not letting homeowners pull the strings, but right now that is what seems to get me in the driveway.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I can see that in Nc where every one owns at least a 1/2 acre but here we are lucky if people own .10 of an acre. small fronts and long skiny backs are what we are made of. I do have a few larger places but will take all the .10 for 23 bucks that I can. I have a row of 7 that I can get done right at 1hr 10 min. all at 20 each. trim, mow and blow. the 36 fits through all gates and make 4 passes in back 3 in front and on to the next. Wish a 60 would fit. That would be 2 in back and 2 in front on to next. probably cut my time to 40 min or so. thought about a 48 but all gates are 42" wide.

8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The 21 is a trimmer mower. It isnt meant to mow an entire yard....at least it isnt meant to make you money if you mow all your yards with it. I had a couple of people who insisted on a 21 because they didnt realize how nice my toro 36 wb could cut. I told them "just let me try it once, if you can tell a big difference, I wont use it again. Noone ever tells me not to use it once they see what it can do....another option is charge extra for using a "trimmer mower".

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

21" can Cut 2k sq. ft. Lots almost as Fast and Better than the 36"s...The 21" Leave the Best Cut Possible on those Very Small Lots especuially if You are Cutting 2-2.5"....Homowners Arn't Stupid.

10. Toy2

It seems that every home i have something is in the way, scrubs planted to close, grass between the fence and driveway, 2 feet apart, a/c's....I have one that is about 40" inches straight in...you have to backout very carefully or risk taking out the a/c unit, big $$$.... etc..I gave up starting the 36" and then switching to the 21" to finish....so on some jobs I just hit it with the 21" and go....I might dump it 36' and get a Gravely 34"....not sure