36 WB or 34 ZTR?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Any thoughts. Just need it to get through gates but I'd rather ride than stand or walk behind.
  2. WB - most lawns that have only a 36" gate are small lawns... MOST that is..

Why spend all that money on a ZTR for a back yard?

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Just get a 32" gear drive walkbehind to save your self money and make some muscle. lol. It works great for me.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I researched this issue, and it seems all the 34" ZTR"S are CRAP, And I really had a hard time giving that much money for such a small machine....

Stick with the WB
  5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

How big are the yards you'll be doing ,and how many a day ? Have you ever tried using a stander.
  6. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

Never tried a stander and didn't realize the smaller ZTR's were junk? Some of these lots are half acre with the back half fenced in.
  7. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 34 Ztr gravely this year and love it. Sucks on hills though. Rather ride than stand.
  8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Theey arent junk. Do you have any properties with the old style chain link fence? I would measure them, because alot of them are about 34 1/4 inches wide.

Here in FL, what would you rather do in aug-sept? Ride or walk? Think of the fatiuge factor as well. I have a gravely, I would have an exmark but I bought mine before exmark had theirs out. Dixie looks good also, but whatever one you choose you will be happy with. Sure they arent the best on hills, so I guess you cant use them on all the rolling hills and mountainside properties we have here.
  9. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I have a 52 ZTR but that won't get me through the backyard fences with only one gate. I personally would rather ride than walk behind or sulky behind a WB. I was just checking to see if there were any pros or cons to the smaller 34 ZTR's. Looks like some people claim they are junk and others say not. Huh?
  10. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

Go figure people say they are crap, it's just like anything else though. I have a Dixon Black Bear 34 with an 18 hp Kohler command. This thing can move some grass without batting an eye and is comfortable to boot. Granted they aren't cheap, but for the convenience factor I give it a two thumbs up. I can zip through a lawn no problem, comfortably, and then use my energy to trim and blow that property. It isn't a big deal right now, because on average the temp is about 65 degrees. However, when those temps climb to 90-100+ degrees, you bet your ass I am gonna be happy I have that ztr with a cup holder.