36 wb question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dwjames, May 12, 2006.

1. dwjames

dwjames LawnSite Member

Home owner here with 1 acre of yard with a steep hill, 3 acres of wetland which I can only get to in the summer so the grass is high and the ground is uneven.

I did a demo on a Ariens Zero turn and it slid down the hill and it was all I could do to keep it from the bank. Wish I had a picture of my face, luckily the feeding shed stopped me.

Then did a demo with a gravely 36g. I liked it, I know I would like the hydro, but I have to spend under 3000.

We have JD, hustler, Toro and Husq. and other dealers near, but I like the financing on the Gravely, and though Scag sounds the toughest, it seems like a Gravely should handle the wetlands portion well in the summer and the cut looks nice on the rest of the yard. Plus the 1.9% financing looked good.

Any strong negatives on the Gravely, or other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have anything negative to say about the mowers. You're going in the right direction with a walkbehind. MOST commercial mowers are adequate, as a homeowner you'll get a good mower from any of those mentioned. Sheffield finances a lot of mowers through dealers. You can even apply direct on the web. They have several plans all the time.
    Now, go ACROSS the hill with your walkbehind or you'll take another ride!

3. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

You mentioned that you know you would Like the Hydro, but in reality, it has been worth every penny I paid for it over the belt drive.

I have an Exmark Turf Tracer HP with the hydro. Your body will thank you at the end of the day.

How much is it worth to you? That is a question only you can answer. As for me, it means I am less tired and can work more effeciently.

4. dwjames

dwjames LawnSite Member

If only I could go sideways. It is an 8 foot path leading down the hill to the creak.

Thank you for your input. It seems like from the many posts on this topic, Gravely may not be the favorite, but it is well respected.

As far as getting the Hydro, I am just wondering if the 1 hour a week saved with the Gravely will be worth the thousands more than a 21 inch home depot special I am using now. Takes me 2 hours mulching, figure 1 hour with the gravely. Of course I can't even comtemplate the back field with the 21 inch.

Oh, well. Thanks again, and thanks to all for keeping our city's and homes looking so good.

5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought the Gravely Pro 1336G and am pleased with the machine. I too was concidering the hydro. unit but ended up buying the belt drive one and it has no problem pulling my 230 lbs, so far I have no complaints, but I can't compare it with the hydro unit. I have to say this if the hydro unit is anything like my 2148XL unit I can see where it would opperate smoother.

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

A 36" Gravely gear wb? This thing will last longer than your stay in that house. When you sell the house or move, the mower still cutting. BTW, all gear walk is same, there is nothing much in it, pretty much archaic system of transmission which you can service yourself easily. Greasing regularly, change oil every 50 hr, lube your tranny once a year..shift gear after completely stopping and it will last lifetime.

7. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

I got a 32 Exmark belt drive, 13 HP and it is a great mower. The olny thing is, I know that you have a hill and when you are going down a hill it will take off on you so you have to hold the brakes and slowly let go. Over all it is one of my best investments, it fits throgh most gates. For $2,400 you can't go wrong.

8. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

Nothing negative about Gravely.
    Walkbehind sounds to be the right choice for you. Scag you can pay for the name. Husqvarna is good to. If you do go with a walkbehind then I would recommend a hydrostatic drive over a belt drive but you can save a little money with a belt drive.But the hydro is worth it. If you get a walkbehind the BE CAREFUL. Go slow at first till you get the hang of it. If you are on a steep hill don't let the machine be above you at anytime because if you slip you are just another blade of grass to it. And 500-700lbs of metal won't me to forgiving if you make a mistake.Be careful and good luck.

9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

WB is definetly the way to go. Gravely is a good machine. I would try a Toro T-bar before you make a final purchase, it is a very easy system to learn and does well on hills. We mow hills you can barely walk on with our 36" T-bar and a sulky, no problem. Get what you like using and consider the purchase of a sulky down the road, it makes all the difference.

10. dwjames

dwjames LawnSite Member

Thank you for your input. I just wish I had more money to get what I really want. A landscaper to redesign my yard, then a exmark rider. Oh well.

Be safe out there.