36" WB with the cleanest cut on Northern Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Oct 8, 2007.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

For all you Northern Lawn guys: What is everyone's opinion out there on the 36" WB that gives the best quality cut in average mowing conditions? I know average can vary somewhat, but assume Northern grasses (fescues/KBG), dry to moderately dewy (not wet) grass, normal 1 wks growth on reasonably maintained lawns. Also throw in mulching vs non mulching of the clippings.
    I have read several posts regarding 36" WB's, but thought it best to create a pointed post for just this topic.

I am looking into this size mower for my residential accts next season and quality of cut is my first priority. Thanks kindly.
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't suggest "best", but my belt-driven Toro T-Bar is merely passable. I have a Lesco (which I hate to run b/c it is a pistol-grip) that has an immaculate cut. Very pleased with the quality. I believe this to be a result of there being no front baffling around the blades - better airflow and standup. In fact, I loaned it to another Toro LCO two weeks ago for a few days and he commented the same thing about the superior cut over Toro.

And, as a side note, the Lesco held up waaaaaay better than my consantly wounded Toro.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing Toro. They're my primary instruments... just being painfully forthright.
  3. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a quick 36... for 2,000 bucks you have a great machine.. infact I just mowed after a rain shower.. no clumps nothing and the grasss was very long.. I also have a mulch kit... will be using it in another week.. it turns the leaves to dust.. ive thought about geting a bager but with the mulch blades and plate why bother.. call gary he will set you up.. go for a quick 36 you wont regret it.
  4. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I own a toro 36 hydro and it does me well, but then again im in florida with st. augustine. just wanted to chime in ^^
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

lawncare18 - what model do you have, the superfox, super duty, or samurai?
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I cut northern grass here in IL and Toro is all we use. I upgraded this year to the Toro turb force 48" 15hp kaw v-twin and I haven't found anything these mowers won't cut and leave looking nice. The older Toro walkbehinds I had didn't have a nice a cut as I would have liked but the new ones cut better than any mower I have ever used. So for northern grasses I would have to say Toro all the way. As for Leso a couple LCO around here have them and the cut is ok but according to them there in the shop alot. My Toro's are put through hell every week without a problem, there built like tanks. Best built walkbehind out there in my op.
  7. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a super fox. mowing about 15 lawns a week its great.. havent had any issues to speak off besides a broken cable but that was after a full year of using it... ts a nice machine id deff look into them.
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

IMO you cant beat the Exmark TT, ours cuts great and plenty of power with the 15hp kawi. But the best thing I like is the deck adjustment! It takes seconds to adjust with out having to monkey with blade removal. Plus the ECS grips are very comfortable, no more sore wrists.
  9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Many people on here would say the same thing ... get a Quick 36 with mulch kit !!
  10. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I have used lesco and scag and the scag is superior in cut and durability. And from what i've been told lesco equipment is going away very soon so parts might be a problem in the future. I have not used toro or exmark or others but I would definitely reccomend a scag