36 wright stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimbos, Sep 16, 2002.

1. jimbos

jimbos LawnSite Member

went today and tested a 36" stander and was really impressed. Just wanted to check with anyone to see if 5299.00 was a fair price with the 17 kawasaki and electric start.

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

The Flex-Deck should fit a wright stander very well also - Have a guy in Florida that has a wright stander 36" and is very seriously contemplating getting one - he wants to mow under his trees and get between some narrow places.

Hate to disappoint, but no pics here - see my sponsor forum

Thanks, Brad

3. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

that sounds like a fair deal to me, i was going to get a 17hp w/es but when my dealer called and told me he had a promotional 15hp kawi for 3999 i bought it as fast as i could. that price i had been looking at for the 17hp was 5599, i think, whatever the suggested retail was.

4. Tidycut

Tidycut LawnSite Member

Hey Jimbos,

I bought that exact same mower a month ago and paid the same price as was quoted to you. I did find a few dealers in the Orlando area that were $150 cheaper but it wasn't worth the trouble of driving over there. I also got an extra set of blades free and a nice pat on the back. Anyway, I'm pleased overall with the mower. Handles great, easy to use and is fun to drive. The only disadvantage, from my standpoint, to the mower is the height of cut adjustment. Basically done with spacers and moving bolt positions. Which isn't a big deal unless you need to lower the rear wheel height. Currently I don't have any yards that require this but my inquisitive nature dictates scientific experimentation. So, I quickly realized a problem with my 36" Stander. Which is - the hydraulic hoses to the rear wheel motors lay directly over the bottom forward nut and bolt on the mounting bracket. Making it difficult to get at and this nut is torqued on from the factory with a lot of force. I had to use a four-way lug wrench to break free the other nuts but couldn't get at this one because of the hoses. I tried an open-end wrench but couldn't budge it and was afraid of rounding off the nut. Anyway, Friday I'm taking it to the dealer to let them look at it.

However the problem seems to be unique with only my Stander, as far as I know. I looked at others and the hoses were routed slightly different than mine. So a word to the wise - make sure you can get at them nuts. :p

Rick

5. Flex-Deck

Is it not amazing that we are paying $5200 for 36" mowers? WOW time does go on. And the mowers are worth what they cost because they do the job we need done. There are a lot of good machines out there, and I would only recommend that dealer support be a big factor, much bigger than saving a $100 here or there on a better bid on the original price.

If your dealer makes a little money on the machine, he will probably fit you in much faster if you need work done on your machine. - "How much is that worth"

Thanks, Brad

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Since the thread is focused on Wright Stander, I have a related question for current users. How difficult is the height change?

I know that the front casters are mounted on brackets with a latch pin and collars. This 'feature' makes me think twice about considering a Wright.

I currently have a 36" Exmark Viking (hydro/fixed deck) and it has the same caster/collar arrangement for height adjustment. My mower is very light in the front. I can pick up the front with one hand, while I pull out the caster shaft , change collars, and remount. However, I think that the Wright is much heavier in the front, making the procedure of picking up the front impossible. Is the only way to remove the caster to run one wheel on the ramp of the trailer? Or, do you use a jack?

My pattern of work requires that I change heights often, sometimes one or two times on the same property. I've had serious reservations about Wright because of this point. Great Dane has a much easier height change procedure.

While I'm asking questions to current users, does anybody have any productivity comparisons between a 36" w/b hydro and a 36" Stander? I'm getting tired of walking (limited use of a Velke), and may seriously consider a standon mower for next season.

How about quality of cut between a 36" Exmark fixed deck and a Wright Stander 36?

I would consider a 48" deck, but I have several gated back yards with gates too small for a 48" deck. I may consider keeping my Exmark 36" for those, and use a 48" for others.

Comments? Thanks,

Roger

7. jimbos

jimbos LawnSite Member

Flex-deck, what has to be done for your product to work on the 36 stander? Also dealer carries chopper and exmark, he had no idea that you put it on the 36 viking and 52 tt.(looked at me like i was nuts!) So i sent him to this page- will talk to him on friday when i pick up the stander. By the way he said the chopper guys love it(flex-deck), and don't want the word to get around.

8. jimbos

jimbos LawnSite Member

aiel do you drive your stander in the bed of your truck? I thought I saw a pic of your rig before. If so how easy is it to pull-start your machine when its on the truck? Also tell me one good and bad thing that you have found with the 36 stander, thanks.

9. jimbos

jimbos LawnSite Member

tidycut, i'm guessing that you are close to cocoa beach, yes? My question to you is about the height diff between st. aug and bahia in the winter.(i usually mow the bahia shorter just to be able to cut some off when it slows down) Is it going to be a pain to lower?

10. Flex-Deck

Jimbos - Got a guy in Florida that is drooling about putting it on a Wright stander when he can afford it or get it done, and we talked about deck measurements, and it should go on a stander very well -

HERE IS MY DILEMA and YOU SAID IT PERFECTLY - Everyone that has one does not want anyone else to know because it is so efficient that all of a sudden they have the advantage as to making MONEY. This Flex-Deck deal is so revolutionary that it is hard for most to even think it will work, let alone look at it

It is like when the Weed-Eater came out in about 1960 - People scoffed and said there is no way string can cut grass! Guess what - Everyone has at least one weed-whacker today.

If you need a video or whatever, email me with your address and phone and we will talk. I will send you some info along with the video - we do have dealer programs available. The video is home made and somewhat blurry, but am in the process of getting one done by the pros. It does show you what it does though.

Thanks, Brad[​IMG]

View attachment 36x-between post.jpg