36" wright stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ince8728, Sep 7, 2004.

1. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new wright stander. I will be demoing one in a few weeks, I was pretty happy about this until someone told me that they have a tendency to scalp on bumpy ground, not uneven ground, bumpy!!! For those of you who have experience with these machines is this true and if so what are some solutions. When I confronted my dealer about this he just said, "oh well I never heard of anything like that happening". Any input would be greatly appreciated.

- Matt

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have never had problems with scalping.....but my Stander is a 61".......now clumping is another story...

Derek

3. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

clumping??? Do you discharge or mulch? I bag and only discharge when it doesn't matter or can't be seen. Also, what is your cutting height?

- Matt

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Only time I get clumps is when its raining. I run 52" standers. Read your latest PM I sent you.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

I am very frustrated with mine.....I mowed yesterday and I had all kinds of problems with clumping....I had to triple cut one lawn to make it look decent, granted it is a very thick lawn but was only about 5" tall......I mow at 3 inches....mostly fescue and rye...........

I am running doubles hi-lift on the bottom and GrassHawg (gator style) on top. I tested true Gators this spring and they were even worse.....

I have checked deck pitch, etc, but nothing seems to help.......

I appears that the discharge velocity is rather low. My old Toro 48" would blow grass 8-10' with the same blade set up; The Stander, maybe 4-6'...

Also it appears that the grass coming from the chute is directed down so it clumps right near the discharge. Dealer has checked the RPMs and says they are correct....

ITSGOTTABEGREEN, we have talked about this before. I love the mow other than this problem, but this is a big one.........to me..

Derek

6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

No clumping or scalping on our 36". It is great.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Derek-I don't know about the 36's, but the 48's I run have had no problems with clumping/discharge/scalping , etc.Maybe in open areas you could open the deflector chute, and hold it open w/ a bungee cord to get more distance. I run mine with mulch kits and mulch every yard we do, even the ones that grow 4-5" a week in between fert. treatments. I know there are many differences between a 36 and 48 , so I am not comparing apples to apples. I would try some more blade combos. I run only single Raptor blades on mine, and they work great. I am just waiting to get my hands on a new 32" STANDER..MUHAHAHAHA :D

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

That makes two of us.

9. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

deflector is always up.....

where can I get Raptors?????

How hard is it to increase RPM's a bit????

Derek