36in walk behind * Scag or Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by limaint, Feb 28, 2009.

1. limaint

limaint LawnSite Member
    from NY NY

Looking to buy a 36" walk behind as an additional mower... Found a dealer selling a Pre-owned 36" scag for $1800 (14hp Kawasaki and catcher) Good condition and a 36" Exmark for $1500 (new 18hp Kohler motor/rebuilt trans with catcher) better condition.

As thoughts or advice would be appreciated....

2. gunner19

gunner19 LawnSite Member

I'd prolly go with the exmark, especially if the Kohler is new.
    It's also cheaper, and you said it was in better shape.
    Is the exmark pistol grip or ECS?

You can't go wrong with either, though.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Hard one.....which color do you like more?....lol

4 hp difference is pretty large.

but then again the lesser of the two hp's is the superior Kawasaki motor.

IMO...if the eXmark had ECS controls, I would be all over it in a heartbeat.

4. meicher806

meicher806 LawnSite Senior Member

scag, all the way!!

5. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

You will be very pleased with the cut the exmark leaves. I had an exmark WB 5 speed, it left a superb cut, plus with the mulch kit it made a huge difference not having the nasty clippings blowing all over the place.

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say to go with the Exmark.

7. ralph84

ralph84 LawnSite Member

This has been a helpful thread, I've been considering which to go for myself, but I think I'm going to have to buy new, nobody around here seems to really be selling used.

8. IndyIN

IndyIN LawnSite Member

Thought I'd tag on to this thread. I'm looking to pick up an Exmark Metro 36". Is $2800 a decent price for a new one?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

yes it's a good price.

i paid $3300 for my 32" 15hp metro....thing is though I hate it....cut is great...just feels like crap and beats the hell out of you...If you get one...make sure it's the floating deck with ECS controls...you will hate the eXmark pistol grips.

10. IndyIN

IndyIN LawnSite Member

It's not a floating deck but does have the ECS controls. I've been on the fence about getting a Quick36. Nothing against them, just afraid what would happen if I needed parts a couple of years from now and they were no longer in business? It's a reality for all of the manufacturers, I guess.