1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

36inch walk behind or larger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aa1campbell, Dec 30, 2007.

1. aa1campbell

aa1campbell LawnSite Member

Hello, Just started my company last year and looking to expand this year. In the process of buying several new pieces of equipment and was wondering about the 36 inch deck, I see on several of you guys listing that you own one or more, I was thinking bigger is better, so is it a good buy or go big,
  2. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Do you have gates where you would need a 36? If not go with the bigger mower to up your productivity.Welcome to LS

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

A 32 or 36 mower is probably the most versatile mower on the market. I couldnt live without my 32. A 32 or 36 is a necissity.
  4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

For general lawns, a 36" is a time killer. I've had many mowers in my day... and I'd have to say that once you've mowed with a bigger deck, breaking out a 36 is torture to mow more than a few k sq ft.
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 36" wb and I have run into a few cases were it was to small. I'm considering a 32" for next season.
  6. Accu-cut Lawn Care

All things being equal, a 60" deck is most versatile. It's capable of mowing .10 to 5 acre properties.
  7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

... whereas, a 36" is only efficient up to 5,000 square feet.
  8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do have gates or tight landscapes start with a 36. If needed in the future add a bigger deck in the future. In my case if the 48 breaks down no big deal. If the 36 breaks down the day is over. Thats why I have a spare 36.
  9. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Depends on the yards you're going to be mowing. If you have lots of tight access (gates, houses/garages/sheds/landscaping close together) properties, then the 36 is that cat's meow. 52/61/72" are real time savers, but they do you no good if you only get to take if off the trailer for 2 of your 10 properties that day.
  10. texpro

texpro LawnSite Member

start w/ 36 then as u grow get a bigger one