37 HP Kawasaki model FX1000V

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thunderhead, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Thunderhead

Thunderhead LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, lots of questions here...

Do ya'll know if Kawasaki is having problems with their 37 HP engine? I'm referring to the FX1000V carbureted model...

Are any of you out there running this engine? If so, how many hours do you have on it and what problems have you had with it? If you've had problems, what were they? Did your dealer or Kawasaki cover it under warranty?

How would you say it is on fuel consumption? Good, Bad, Ugly?

To those of you who own, previously owned, use, or have previously used this engine, WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE?

I'd Greatly Appreciate your input and/or any information you have on this.

**Not intending to have this thread get blown out of proportion**

Thank You

2. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Ferris IS3100Z 37/72, but it's the one with Fuel Injection. The fuel injection sips fuel considering its a 37 hp powerplant with a 72 deck. It gets right around 1.8 gph. The only thing negative I would say about this engine is that sometimes on start up it will blow out some blue smoke for 2-3 seconds then quit. But sometimes it won't do it for a few days, but then somedays it will do it everytime you start it. Its really wierd. Kawasaki tells me that thier big block engines (29 to 37 hp) have the "tendency" for the rocker arms to become "slightly" misaligned on start ups. Which would make total sense. But it makes me iffy sometimes. But now since kawi came out with a 3 year warranty on their four stroke engines, thats some good re-assuarance. Other than the start-up thing I love the engine. Its a total powerhouse...I wouldn't hesitate to buy another

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

subscribed......

4. Thunderhead

Thanks for your reply. About how many hours would you say you have on the engine?

5. Thunderhead

Anybody else care to chime in on this long thread? lol

6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search. Yes they have had major problems

7. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

I got around 231hrs so far....just got it last year

8. Thunderhead

Do you use a synthetic engine oil?

9. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

do a search on here, they have had LOTS of issues with that engine. I have replaced 15 this year alone.

10. Thunderhead

I've searched...
    What are the problems with them that you are having/seeing? Were those 2011 model engines??

Thanks!