37 HP Kawasaki model FX1000V

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thunderhead, Jan 26, 2011.

1. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscibing.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Thunderhead

Thunderhead LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with you on this Mick! And I BETTER get at least 3000 hours out of my engine/ machine without major problems, especially since I don't mow commercially! For what I'm cutting now with a Super Z, it would take me about 9 years to achieve around 420 hours or so!

Man this engine has got me nervous!!!!

3. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

You can change the oil every 2 hours, clean the air filter everyday, change the fuel filter once a month, but the BB FX will still blow up. Valve train issues, no maintenance will cure that. Get a Vanguard or Kohler or Kubota engine if available in the make your partial to. Hustler makes an awesome machine, but the fx is junk. If you read all the bad news on these threads and still get an FX, well then, you're a moron. Sorry.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Ive noticed the Toro have pulled the 37 from there G3 line up!

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Knowing kawi they got the issues figured out. I would say if the engine is a fresh unit (off kawis assembly line) it will be fine. The new old stock is what could still have issues.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I don't think the smaller FX models are having the problems that the big blocks are.

7. Thunderhead

I appreciate your honesty...

Ok, I have an '09 SZ with the 31 hp Kawasaki FX850V. CODE: FX850V-BS08-R and E/NO: FX850VA08622.

I've got 70 hours on the machine. Only problem I've had so far was a completely clogged fuel filter. Will change to synthetic oil when I do my first initial Spring maintenance.

So what I'm asking is, from YOUR experience, how many hours do you think I should get out of THIS engine before I have major problems? Anything I should be looking (or listening) for once it gets "X" number of hours??

I'm assuming you prefer Kohler over Kawasaki (I've always been the opposite)...

Thanks.

8. Thunderhead

What do you mean by "smaller" FX models? I thought all the FX series engines are big block engines? Just asking (and learning)...

9. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Its been awhile since I've been on my vride but it has a 24hp fx engine and the 52 has a 26hp fx engine. I'm pretty sure the 34hp and 37hp engines share the same cases while the 31hp is a smaller version. Just going off memory but I believe that is correct.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

I have a 24hp FX.