1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

37 HP Kawasaki model FX1000V

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Thunderhead, Jan 26, 2011.

1. bigsnowdog

bigsnowdog LawnSite Member

I have one in a Ferris 3100, it is carbureted. I learned of the valve problems, but also learned of the upgrades Kawasaki has done. I got both cylinder head assemblies and the cam shaft replaced for free.

I think it is a great engine. This engine on my 61 inch deck is real mowing machine. I mow a reforestation project, so I cut lengths much greater than any residential mower would ever see.
  2. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

what are the upgrades? I took off the valve cover and my exhaust valve pushrod cam off. I put it back on but it has about 1/4" gap in it that cannot be adjusted out.
  3. bigsnowdog

The upgrade in my case was as I listed, both cylinder heads and the camshaft.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Really an 09/2010 model had EFI? first i've heard of that but guess i just wasnt paying attention! you have any photos?
  5. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Well mine apparantly has dropped a valve.
  6. bigsnowdog

How old is it? Is the engine or mower still in warranty? Regardless, contact the dealer and Kawasaki. I am thinking if your serial number was eligible for upgrades they will stand behind it.

Mine is just a couple of months less than four years old. My engine had not failed yet, but I was worried. My serial number had not been done, so Kaw paid to have both heads and the cam replaced at no charge.

Don't panic just yet, make your contacts.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I was getting ready to buy another bobcat and was thinking of one of these engines but I think I will have to go with the kohler engine instead.
  8. bigsnowdog

I would like to know if anyone with the newest generation of engine, meaning the newest design revision of the heads, cam, and related parts, has had a problem. I purchased my machine in August of 2008.
  9. banjo

banjo LawnSite Member

My FX 34hp has just gone in for a rebuild, 3040 hours and was starting to use too much oil. Has been a fantastic motor and i'm hoping it isn't done yet ! A new engine is about $4000 here
  10. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

When did they rework they valve train? I bought a 2013 super z with the 37 and now after reading this thread I'm very worried, myn backfires like crazy most times when you turn it off
    Posted via Mobile Device