3700$ for health ins.!!!! Anybody have a cheaper plan?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, May 3, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Just got my yearly increase. 55$!!! Now paying 309 a month.
    47 non-smoker. What a rip. If I try raising my customers that much I would be picking buckshot out of my arse.
    Anything out there cheaper??? And decent. I now have Premera Blue Cross.
  2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

WOW! 43 non-smoker $157 per month. Great plan. Trigon Healthkeepers.
  3. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Any ideas how I can use the power of 3,300+ registered members to negate a discount from a major insurance provider?

4. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

We just got our notice from Blue Cross Premera and they didn't even give us the dollar cost, probably assuming we wouldn't renew. They just put in big bold red letters that as of July 1, our health care would increase by 60%, through my wife's former employer's group, and I don't mean because of the end of her COBRA but because that's what they decided to raise it. Our COBRA ran out a few years ago but some ex-employees formed an association and got group insurance.

We can go non-group, but then we can't get any eye or dental and the cost will be more than it is even now. With two grade school kids, being self-employed is starting to look like a luxury. I could get a government job but I had to quit the one I had before because I was too bored to spend the day hiding out and avoiding work. I work harder and enjoy it more and wouldn't want to go back, even for the bennies.

Chuck, there should be some type of affinity program you can get involved in if an insurer is interested in lawnsite members as a group but I don't know about it, but I'd sure be interested. Will M.
  5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

6. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Chuck im all for it if its possible. I Know countless people on here that would be interested also....... good thought!!!
  7. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

A co op would be specacular!
  8. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

31 no smoke, no drink 2 kids wife. Just went from $431/month to $451/month goes up $20 to $50 per year. "due to the increase in health care, although we tell the providers how much they can charge, we decided its time to rip you another one, you don't have high enough monthly bills yet, and the doctors need payments for their lake homes and Hummers." BCBS of GA.
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

This is what some on he and myself have been saying on the forum for quite awhile. As self employed people we are screwed when it comes to health insurance. And you need to get a bigtime company that will hopefully be in business for your lifetime. If you get a no name company and they fold when you are over 50 good luck getting any reasonably priced insurance at that age. The company I am with keeps raising rate periodically as I age. They all do. At 60 before medicare kicks in it will be around 500 a month. God forbid if you lose your insurance and then you get a major illness and then try to get reinsured. I know a man with heart problems. he was covered under his wifes job and her employer went bankrupt and he was selfemployed and went to looking for insurance. They wanted 10000$$$ a quarter!!! and thats all he could get until medicare kicked in. We keep getting post are we charging too much. With all the insurance and taxes we have to pay---- hail no
  10. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Mr.Z- same letter....Group Death is even worse. Maybe Gary Locke will save us!LOL!