3ft Retaining Wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mebergstran, May 3, 2008.

1. mebergstran

mebergstran LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I'm more of a lawncare guy, but my grandpa asked me to put in a retaining wall for him this spring sometime. It's only ~3ft. high and 10ft long and so I thought I could handle it. I'd like to do it right though, and so I'm wondering if you guys know of any good books for beginners on the basics of laying block.

Thanks for your help!
    Mark

2. csl

csl LawnSite Member

wherever you decide to buy your block just ask the salesman for info on installation. let him know your situation, and they should be able to tell you how much gravel, compaction, drainage, etc. they are a great resource becuase they have to stand behind what they sell. stay away from home depot and lowes!

3. mebergstran

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

4. mebergstran

Thanks for the advice. The people at the concrete company were very helpful and the project turned out great.

My grandparents neighbors were so impressed that they said they would be interested in having me put in something similar at their house. I had a lot of fun with it and said I would think about doing theirs, but I don't have any idea what to charge. To give me an idea, what would you charge for the project I just did for my grandpa?

The project I just did:
    I ended up buying the block from the local concrete company, and I went with the 7x16x12inch london stone blocks (~50) and a row of ~18 4x16x12 inch london stone caps on top. I also installed 3 full 7x16x20inch steps and 6 half steps to make it all look nice. I wish I could take a picture, but it turned out really nice. I didn't need to put down a gravel base because the house is built up on gravel fill (but how much extra would you charge if you needed to put in gravel). The wall is about 27ft long and I probably took out about 6 cubic yards of dirt.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

5. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

How exactly did you build it? Base? Backfill? Drainage? Just curious.

6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member