3hp. lazy boy roto tiller trans.assembly

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lazyboy, Nov 6, 2007.

1. lazyboy

lazyboy LawnSite Member

bought a lazy boy 3hp tiller with the trans in a box of loose parts. need help to assemble trans. i put it together like it appeared it should be. tiller ran fine till i put it into the ground, went 5' and locked up. disassembly showed the sprocket[9t x 54t] drive chain had bound up and damaged the gear teeth some. i filed off the burrs and smoothed the rough edges. the tine shaft has [20t]. the pulley shaft has [11t]. the trans housings have 18 bolt holes. need an exploded view, model # to order any missing parts if any and guidance on correct Assembly. many blessings for your assistance.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I found on Lazyboy;

Are there any model numbers at all on this unit ?

What is the code number on the engine ?

Can you post some pictures of this unit ?

Sorry for all the questions, Need more info to go on....
  3. lazyboy

lazyboy LawnSite Member

the b&s is 127cc 3hp. the only #s i can find:
    code 83111403
    type 1672-01
    i have no idea what they indicate.
    the trans case has 16 bolt holes not 18. somedays i count better than others.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If that's the original engine on this unit the first two digits of the code number is the year the engine was built (1983), So the unit could have been built in 83 or 84. My parts look-up does not go back that far.

May be able to find something if some good pictures were posted but there is no telling.
  5. lazyboy

lazyboy LawnSite Member

i will get help from my son on posting photos. the trans oil fill plug had fallen out and dirt had entered the trans. i have replaced the needle bearings 1 1/4" part #1422 on the tine shaft. the sprocket bearings comprised of inner race part#1410 and #1409 needle bearing were replaced by a single bearing and both types were press fit. i got an exploded view of the trans assembly with 29 bolt holes vs. mine with 16 bolt holes from Jim's Mower Center,548 Blackjack Road, Westminster, SC 29693 some time ago. used it as a guide to try to assemble the box of parts i had. i thought i had it right and ran the tiller on the work bench. it was ok till it hit the dirt and locked up. Jim wrote that the engine was used on 5 models of lazyboy. i believe that 16 bolt holes could identify the model #. the tine shaft and 9-54t sprocket roller chain had bound up on the sprocket. could the tine shaft and sprocket be misaligned? there is no way to adjust as both gears are welded to their shaft.
  6. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Try this site: Go to Ask.com enter: 1:http;//www.ytmag.com or www. antiquetractors.com/gphotos/dbtxt When the screen appears,go to the heading: Allis-Chalmers B-10(Missing Engine) maybe you can find your part there.
  7. lazyboy

lazyboy LawnSite Member

got your message re: Ask.com.

david r