3point hitch Core aerators? what size

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Well ive been looking into these for a while, I dont want a walk behind power one.

I have a 27hp diesel Simplicity Legacy XL tractor 4x4 and its got some descent power. I pull a 48" box blade loaded it finally runs out of steam. And also a 60" landscape rake i can load up pretty well without it bogging down.

Can i run a 60" core aerator? Or should i stick to the 48" since a 60" may be hard to get into some areas? What brands are there? Unless its too expensive, although its green, and my tractor is Orenge... I like the JD Frontier CA1048, its the NOT so fancy model like thier 20 series they sell, its the 10 series of core areators that you can add weight to. I know the 20series 60" was like $2300 from a dealer. If i can get away in the 1200$ range id be happy for a more basic but heavy duty core aerator. http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/FT/media/pdfs/Core_Aerators.pdf

2. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

I would go with a 48 inch airreator for your tractor

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I used a 48" when I had my Kubota BX-2200. It worked well and since it wasn't any wider than 48", I could really load it down with weight when I needed to yet the tractor could still handle it.:)

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

With 27 hp you have the pull power. If you 3 pt. will lift 1000 lbs you can go with a 60".

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Landpride makes a good three point aerator. I have the 48" model. My 21 hp New Holland diesel handles it ok. Make sure your aerator is a solid piece. I bought a Turfco. It was not very heavy duty and did not do a good job. I am not sure your Legacy will handle a good three point aerator. I have the first Legacy model, I know it would not. The XL has been upgraded some.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

How much is this Landpride version of a 48" aerator? I have a local dealer near me, sells JD and Frontier too:)

7. Grandview

from WI

I am not sure. I thought around 1700.00. It is well built. Mine is at least six years old.

8. Grandview

from WI

I bought old tractors weights for when I need extra down pressure.

9. Ramairfreak98ss

well i have quotes from a local dealer of $2200~ for a Frontier, Landpride no longer makes any 48" models and Millcreek 420 a 42" only is $1500-$1600 after shipping from PA. Thats more in my price range although my tractor is a hair wider than that in rear tire width i guess it cant hurt much.

10. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Price the woods 48". I purchased the woods pl 60, it was heavy, heavy duty, much more so than landpride,millcreek or lesco's.