3pt Core Plug aerator? for sub compact tractor?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Ive seen aerators that are either $300 or $1300-$2500

Isnt there something that is better than junk/$300 and less than a 500lb Land Pride unit thats 60" wide? I dont even think the 3pt hitch on the tractor im getting can lift that sucker up. If it was 200-300lbs would be great. open to suggestions and brands, just cant be like green or blue or funny color that doesnt somewhat match orange of the machine.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You must be getting a garden tractor if it won't lift 500# off the 3 point.
    Check your capacity again, any blue or green one from 21HP and up can lift 500# with counter weights installed

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of tractor are you getting, that can't pop up 500lbs off the hitch? We have ryan's 36 and 48's they aint cheap though.

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well for a sub compact with the 42" turfco or the 48" light duty millcreek. Since they are the only two small enough and light enough for a sub compact cat 1 3pt to pick up or pick up high enough for ground clearance. My buddy tried to used my 60" Millcreek commerical, but his Kubota BX23 couldn't lift it hight enought to get the spoons off the ground.

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Im getting a Simplicity legacy XL with a bunch of attachments, i wanted to go bigger in JD, but due to the cost, double lol, and being TOO big for lawn stuff i chose this. It has a cat 1 3pt hitch, im not sure what it can pick up because the 3pnt hitch is an option not standard on this. Its packaged in my order but i doubt ill be picking up 600-700lbs on this thing, the 50" rear tillers are usually only 400ish lbs anyway.

I just dont want something way too heavy duty but better than the $100 home cheapo core plug you pull behind.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Check out the aerators made by Mill Creek. They may have one like you want. I am sure they have a website.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Um Please look at a Kubota BX series tractor. You can get a heck of a lot more tractor than a simplicty for about $800 more. yet still be small.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah about 30 people have told me about kabutas, i dont want one of them, i like american owned, build in the usa stuff. and names that are made here, not some companty that is named after some japanese cities like kawasaki or suzuki or ....

thanks for the info though, i either wanted a smaller tractor or a much larger tractor and if i was going any larger than this it was the JD 2520 model which was still a lot more money, and from there i would have wanted a 3720 or 4520 anyway so i just stayed small with this to use a core plug aerator on, small bucket for moving trees/sod/dirt/mulch around with, i am kind of space limited.

Im not sure why no one here likes simiplicity. Like the entire lawnsite.com is biased towards either Toro/exmark and kubota. Not that i think either are bad or not good but what everyone else has or buys doenst mean its the best or better.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

It has nothing to do with liking Simpicity or not, the others are commercial tested and have proven themselves. JD, NH, Massy Kubota have all been in the commercial field and proved there upto the job. Simpliciy has not, yet.

10. Itsgottobegreen