3pt. Hitch Spreaders

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnspecialties, Jan 5, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

For years I've always used the "bargain" spreaders from the local Ag. Supply stores. I'm talking about the spreaders for using on my large commercial properties that work with my New Holland with 3pt. hitch and PTO. They're usually about 1000 lb. capacity and do a "decent" job but they don't hold up too well over time and can be difficult sometimes to get calibrated just right.

Does anyone have one they use that they've been pleased with? I don't mind spending the extra bucks on a quality product. I just don't want to spend the extra bucks and then find out it was no better than the "cheaper" brands I'd been using. Thanks

2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Try a Lely brand, very good and used on many golf courses. Also Vicon is a good brand which uses the "shaker" type applicator that many say is more accurate. I think Lesco still sells Vicon brand. My John Deere Golf and Turf supplier sells Lely. I have experience with both. I like the Lely better, I think it's better built.

3. lawnspecialties

I saw a Lely ad today in my Landscape Management December issue. Looks like what I'm looking for. Ironically, my New Holland dealer happens to carry them (or at least can order them). What were the costs for the Lely and the Vicon? Thanks

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have costs off the top off my head, but it seems like a pull behind ground driven Lely was like $3,000 (??) but I can't be sure.I don't trust my memory that well! Obviously a 3 pt. would be less. If Lesco still sells Vicons, the price'll be on the website and I'm sure your New Holland dealer can get you Lely pricing. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

5. lawnspecialties

Don't apologize. Hey, before you replied, I'd never even heard of a Vicon and had no idea Lesco carried them. Thanks:)

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We do quite a bit of tractor fertilizing, we prefer the sitrex spreaders. They are simple to adjust, easy to service & they hold up well!

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Used them all on the Golf course. Hands down, Vicon is the best. You won't be disappointed!

8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

No doubt vicon is fine equipment, for me, i was raised on broadcast rigs, im therefor more comfortable with them.

9. lawnspecialties

I typed in Vicon on Lesco's website and got nothing.:confused: I'm having many obstacles finding dealers through the web. Most what I find is European stuff. I even found a company called Vicon that makes condoms.

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use the VICON (which is a pendulm type spreader, use's an arm to distribute the fert, rather then a spinner plate), that is all i've ever used, so i can only say that they are totaly awsome, and can spread about 40' swaths. two things i dis-like are: the calibration is different then i'm accustomed to, they have a chart to figure it up, but it IS a differant way of thinking Vs. the usual way of the lawn app's. and it can make one heck of a mess on sidewalks/drives if you come accross them (i have a couple of frontages at HOA's), these thing will throw it everywhere, no question on coverage! but never had it clog or have an off pattern, they rock! here is a quick link to a website that sells them http://www.marketfarm.com/cfms/vicon_fertilizer_spreader.cfm the one i used was bought from a JD dealer in fishers, in