3pt mount Sprayer and spreader combo

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by luckylawnboy, Jan 30, 2002.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I am finally going into some larger properties for pesticide app. and fert. I have several accounts lined out that are 13 and 20 acre of turf. I have been looking every where for a unit to mount to my kubota that has a roller pump sprayer,and a spreader hopper as well. I thought I saw a truegreen Chemlawn truck pulling a tractor with a such thing, but I have looked every where and no luck. Please help.Trying to eliminate two passes over the same piece to get down slow release and weed control sprayed. I just feel granular fert, and liquid weed control is by far the best route for me. :blob4:
  2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I've designed & had built a few such units. Done a few Cushmans too. I don't like to use the PTO to run the pump. It can void the pump warranty in some instances. I have used 5.5hp Honda & Kaw "pony motors". This greatly increase reliability & simplifies design. There is no need for a fancy transmission to break the PTO movement into powering 2 different apparatus.
    I like the Vicon pendulum spreader on the 3Pt hitch. It's the most accurate spreader in the world. A tractor for a set-up like this is going to be pretty big. Do you already own the tractor? What kind & hp? Why a roller pump? Cost? Diaphragm pumps are what I've used with good results. Hypro D-30 (9.5gpm) most commonly.
  3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Vicon is right and a small one holds about 500lbs +/-. You can mount you tank on the front or sides of the tractor. A large electric pump may do the job if you go low volume and the boom isn't too long. Set up boom coverage to be about 1/2 of the smallest widfth you can set the Vicon for, then calibate the Vicon for 1/2 rate on a single pass, then when you double back you'll get the other 1/2 dose for full over lapping fert coverage with single coverage on weed spray. Example 24' fert width (12' each side) with 12' boom coverage (6' each side). Make the passes with the tractor 12' apart on center. Then the weed spray touches on the edges and the fert throws the 12' back to the center of the last tractor pass.
  4. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

The only tractor type unit I have seen TGCL use on large accounts is a turf tracker, made in Canton, Ohio. Of course they may use different equipment in different areas.

Here is the link for the turf tracker.
    It isnt exactly what you have in mind to use, but it is worth checking out anyways.

5. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the info. Where can I find info on the pendulum spreader. A custom built front mount tank and some how mount it to spreader on the back or even the front, but drift back on the operator may be a problem I only have a small 22hp kubota so mounting tanks to the front I may be limited to size. I may draw something up and let you know what I come up with. Get back to me on the spreader.
  6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to a good farm equipment dealer in your area and explain what you want to do.
  7. Nontecher

Nontecher LawnSite Member

Thanks! I certainly will do that!
  8. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

IMO, no way to spread with a vicon and spray with any sort of contraption.
  9. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have seen TG using such a unit behind a JD 30 hp midsize tractor years ago. I have no idea who made it. It was a trailer unit with a vicon type spreader and a boom that had nozzles that hung from the boom and would bounce from side to side as they drove across the field. The trailer held the tanks and spreader. Not sure if it was pto powered or other, but it certainly would cover a lot of ground quickly doing two apps. at once.
  10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Nontecher,

That took some serious digging to find this thread after 6 1/2 years. Wow!