1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

3pt turn with WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandFakers, May 23, 2012.

1. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Does anybody else do a 3pt turn with your WB like you would with a zero. I do it for the simple fact of less turf damage. I just got a new JD hyrdo and am loving it. Just wondering who else is doing it :cool2:

2. SSmith

SSmith Banned

I will when needed. Right now here in SW Ohio it isn't needed.

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

In wet conditions.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I will if I need to, but if I don't need to, then I won't.

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

No. Why would anyone do that? ZTR I can understand. When it comes time to turn WB slow your row.

6. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Only on real wet turf, the hustler wb controls make it easy to keep both tires turning.

7. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Well I do it because of the turf. If I just lock up the tire I mess up the lawn. I come off a belt drive and am still trying to figure out the tricks of the hydro. I only keep getting a handlebar in the guy everytime I try and bring the mower to a stop quick and it goes right into reverse. Ouch
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I 3 pt turn my TTHP almost 80% of the time. I don't like how fast a dual hydro machine whips you around in a 180. A smooth 3pt turn works well for me and keeps me from getting fatigued by the machine.

9. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I muscled around a toro 44" belt drive for a few years before going hydro. I tell ya what I read so much crap about belt drives. Mine was good in the rain and I got used to pulling it backwards or turning up hill so that it would back up on its own. Almost miss it, almost........

Yeah a few times I zigged and the mower zagged putting the handle in my gut. But hey I wised up. :hammerhead:

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I only 3 point my WB when I have to. If you're doing your turns properly it really shouldn't be necessary under most conditions. Reverse the inside wheel as it comes to a stop so you're not pivoting on it. I don't 3 point on my rider much either, but it's not a full size unit and the tires are getting a bit worn, so it's no very hard on turf.