1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

3rd Commercial Bid For The Rookie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheTurfTender, Mar 11, 2008.

1. TheTurfTender

TheTurfTender LawnSite Member
    from Mn

This could be my elephant, or the one that puts me in my place. It is a multi unit condo. About an acre and a half of mowable grass. From the air it looks like there is about 200 trees (yikes), a long skinny oval driveway (for snow removal), pool and about 60 bushes.

They are spending near 19k for Lawn/Snow! I bid the snow removal at 3k so that leaves me with a bit to work with. I would think this includes clean-ups / ferts, and maybe areation, but I don't know. I have a phone call with the presi tomorrow morning when I will get those questions answered. I will also post pics when I get back!

I'm just a one man show, but might enlist the help of a friend for a day if I get this one.

Other than that, I was just wondering how what to go over in the phone call tomorrow. I can get through the small talk just fine, then I plan to ask what the current guy is offering in terms of service, and what if any issues they have with the LCO. Then I'm a LCO rookie again!

How do you all start these kind of conversations? I want to get her excited getting the bid!

Any ideas would be awesome!

2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I never talk or mention.... the 'other' guy. Most likely "he'll" be the one to bring up the past.... likes, dislikes. More dislikes then anything...

Listen to what the prez has to say, understand what he wants... let him know what to 'expect' from you.

Remember, he's done this numerous times with others....
  3. TheTurfTender

from Mn

"She" LOL

Listen, Gather Information, Empathise. Then Speak. Got it!

I am pretty sure this is going to be a bit of a general conversation, but I'm just trying to get an edge!!
  4. TheTurfTender

from Mn

OK- The meeting was postponed until tomorrow, but I went to take a more in depth look at the prop. A big ol pond - 85000 sq feet, and about 400 trees. Could I do that on my own?

Oh, and I have to haul the leaves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing I didn't see many pines *trucewhiteflag*
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

ask about any irrigation work they might need yo to do. such as purging the system before winter then a spring startup. resetting the timers, aiming the heads, leak checks at manifolds etc... you might have to replace heads as necessary or raise them up from being run over with mowers over the years. just try to get everything you can out of the convo as to what they will expect from you. sell quality and attention to detail. main reason they are lookin for someone else is because they arent happy with what they are getting. once youve done that, type out a service outline that lists everything you will be doing on the property like this:
    weekly mowing, trimming edging and cleanup
    monthly fert app
    monthly hedge trimming etc...

but with a bit more detail. also make sure your not in charge of clearing the walkways of snow and laying down salt. because if you are then 3k sounds a bit low, but then again i havent seen pics of this place.

best of luck to you!