3rd home...not so straightforward...HELP!

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by drumbo, Jan 6, 2007.

1. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing a design for a home that is in the upper-end of "ornate" (for our area). I need some help/guidance for proper angles & such. Check the pics.

PICT0001comp.jpg

2. drumbo

How would you light this taking into account the eaves on both sides?

PICT0011comp.jpg

3. drumbo

Same problem here with eaves.

PICT0012comp.jpg

4. drumbo

How would you do the columns? I was thinking about uplighting the outside views of the columns. ?

PICT0015comp.jpg

5. drumbo

Wall wash on the curved walls...? There are 3 of these.

And maybe lens covers for all bullets on light colored stucco (on all walls with stucco...not just this pic)?

PICT0005comp.jpg

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Nice house.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

This is a great time to learn new techniques. I would highly reccomend getting with a designer on this project and also seeing about being able to obtain the plot plans.

This will be a pretty high dollar project if they want to do it all. If they are serious about this they should have no problem with design fees and such.

If your set on doing it alone I would definatly get yourself a few lights and play with it.

Is that a water feature on the one wall ? That should probably be lit either from within the feature or perhaps a downlight from the eve above or across.

On the pillars You dont have a clear enough picture of whats around the base. I would probably look to light the front corner ones from at least 2 sides but be careful your not making it to bright.

There is no way i could possibly design this job from the 5 pictures you have included

8. drumbo

I wouldn't even begin to know where to find a qualified designer...

He called me due to the other projects that I have done. (which look fantastic!)

9. drumbo

Do you think that diagonally cross lighting this on both sides of the windows with 2 bullets will do the trick? It would/could eliminate eave work...right?

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

get with dreams to designs on here... Kirk engle... He provided me 3d images and lots of advice on my first job at reasonable rates.

On a job of this scale i would say a detailed plot plan and landscaping plan including the locations of useable conduits under any hard surfaces is a must.

How about some over all shots of the house from the street from multiple angles... you can email them to me if you want billy@integrityoutdoorlighting.com and I will look but I still think someone with more design experience is a must.

First off be sure this guy aint house poor and is willing to shell out what a high end system is going to run him.

Dont be intimidated by the size of the project. Just break each area down as if it were a smaller project then tie everything together.

Once I got over that fear (with landscaping) it opened me to a whole new world of projects to take on.

If you can light a house half that size you can do this one too!

Also think about getting some night shots of it now. Where is the line voltage lights ? hows it look now ?