3rd Season Partnering UP!?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CustomGrounds, Mar 13, 2013.

1. CustomGrounds

CustomGrounds LawnSite Member

We have a 48 36 21 few redmaxx blowers and all the hand stuff. we could def do 60 with our setup depending on size. only have 2 or 3 lawns right now that would really benfit from a rider. He wants to buy a rider tho with the money hes bringing in. I was 6 days a week from april too end of june last year and def needed the one full time guy. then he worked 4-5 days aweek with me thru july then 3 days a week in aug and then in spe 4-5 again we got busy with random jobs then seeding areating leaves all that fun stuff. i wanna look into companys that are partners

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

My company is a partnership. Our dynamic is different than most Father & Son. Dad's 55 and I'm 35. Where are you located?

3. CustomGrounds

CustomGrounds LawnSite Member

South jersey
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. Something is not adding up. 1 fulltime guy and 6 days a week for the owner to do 35 yards. Maybe they are big yards.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

35 customers, 15 other customers, and you net $20,000.

Do you own your equipment or are you paying it off?

Lower your life style and then you will have money to advertise.

Better off struggling on your own. This guy is going to throw $10,000 in buy a rider and buy advertising.

Where I live it costs about $2,500 for each zip to EDDM through through the post office.

Then get half of the income from your already established business.

That is a great deal.

For him, not for you.

I have not read here a story where partnership went great. Though there are never enough shortages for stories on how people had a bad partner.

Notice this thread:

People for partnership Zero
    People against Everyone

That kid that works with his dad can't be counted as a For, because his dad will open a can of whoopass on him if he said different.:drinkup:

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Far from a kid. I had another partnership before that wasn't with my Dad in general contracting. Went good at first we were loaded with clients, subbing out a lot of work, a couple of employees but as soon as the slow down hit (2007) things fell apart.

As for the whoopass lets just say I've worn him down over the years.

7. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it that you are not motivated and looking for help that will motivate you?
    35 account seems low to need full and part time help. You may make more with just one more efficient mower and working alone. If you only made 20k with a full time guy, you will make 20k with a partner and he will get half.

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Take his money and run, teach him why partnerships are bad
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Dont do it! I had a partner for the past 2 years. Im entering my third year as well and Im doing solo starting this year. I was lucky as I am still friends with my ex partner. I was able to retain about 90% of the clientel. As everyone else has said, DONT DO IT! If you need the help that bad, hire a helper. Maybe a helper with a mechanical background. You will thank yourself in the long run. Partnering up will cause headaches and you will most likely be butting heads often on major decisions that will ultimately affect the business in a negative way as a whole.Just my 2 cents!

10. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

Run, don't walk away from the idea of partnership!