4-24-2008 : Learn Forever, Die Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sean Adams, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I read a lot. To be honest, I probably read too much. I have so many things floating around inside my head that sometimes it is hard to keep things straight. But nevertheless, I enjoy it and it keeps me sane (well sorta....)

Last night I was watching the NBA Playoffs and reading a book by John Wooden, well known and respected former basketball coach at UCLA - he has won 10 National Championships and is regarded by many as the greatest coach in all of sports history.

That is a different debate.

But the guy is almost 100 years old and with that kind of age comes wisdom.

There was one particular section of his book that caught my attention and I thought I would include it here. It is called "Learn Forever, Die Tomorrow".

"Early on I came to believe that you should learn as if you were going to live forever, and live as if you were going to die tomorrow. What does this mean? In the simplest way I would explain it like this.

Always be learning, acquiring knowledge, and seeking wisdom with a sense that you are immortal and that you will need much knowledge and wisdom for that long journey ahead. Know that when you are through learning, you are through.

But I want to live that life as if I were going to die tomorrow; with relish, immediacy, and the right priorities. I will also not waste even a minute."

Good stuff, huh?

After I read this I sat for a minute and thought about it. Sometimes certain things I read make me think more than others. I usually end up putting what I read towards my passion for the Green Industry.

I thought to myself, if a landscaper were to make this his or her credo, what a difference it could make in owning and operating a business like this. If they set aside the time to learn one new green industry related thing each day, at the end of 1 year, they would know 365 new and helpful ways to grow and improve their business.

And if each day, they ran their business like it was the last day their business were to be in operation, think of how organized and prepared they would be.

Yea, Coach Wooden is a pretty smart guy.
  2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a great quote
  3. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm way too laid back to live each day as if it's my last, I don't even think it's practical. At best, it's unrealistic. I mean, on my last day.... screw business.

I'm not even close to being "A1 type" personality or whatever it's called. I'm not sure why... I've watched all The Apprentice shows.:rolleyes:

Right now my favorite business book is Getting Things Done Fast by David Allen. I even downloaded his seminar in MP3. Good stuff. I went out and bought metal filing cabinets, stacks of blank manila folders and a labeler.

His philosophy regarding filing is that you must be able to make a file and store it in less then 30 secs. and it must be easy to read. Couple weeks ago, I wanted to get a spring hair cut and I thought now who was that Russian lady that did such a good job last time. I go to the filing cabinet, under HAIR CUT, pull out the folder and there is her card.

I've never been able to put my finger on things like that before.

As for 100 year old people, vote Republican and you will have a 100 year old President:laugh:
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

My grandfather always said, you can learn a lot from a lazy man. If you have a task that takes time, and leaves you tired, hire a lazy man and see how he does it, chances are he'll figure out an easier way. Lots easier to read and see how to do it easier!
  5. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i never thought about that. in that light but i saw a quote if it was on here or plowsite. "Its hard to make something idiot proof as idiots are so genius."
  6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

well ill remember that one for now on
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I have been and always will be a "Work hard/ Play hard" type, and always asking questions to the point of annoying instructors & coaches -- maybe that's what Coach Wooden was eluding to? I figure if you're not continuiing to learn, you're not making the most of life.
  8. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Maybe computer files or smart phone would be better ... who keeps everything on paper now?