4.3 Chevrolet won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bigz1001, Nov 15, 2004.

1. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

A 1998 Chevrolet Blazer with the 4.3 running fine, sputtered out then just died and will not restart. After checking all the fuses they are fine, and a shot of starting fluid didn't even make it hit, what else can I do to trouble shoot this engine? Does anyone else have any ideas?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

4.3 are very famous for the distributor cap going bad, most of the time they start by running ruff or It might be the module in the distributor

3. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How long did it run rough before it died, how many miles are on it, have you ever tuned it up, did it run bad hot or cold or both.give us more info.

My guess would be coil, dist. cap , fuel pump, MAS air sensor, or map sensor.

4. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

The vehicle has 80,000 miles on it, it had ran rough the day before. The engine has never ran hot or cold, it has always made it to normal operating temp and just stayed there. The engine has had new spark plugs, recent oil change, and a new fuel and air filter.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would start with a new dist cap, fairly cheap and easy to do and at 80,000 miles its about due

6. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a gm motor that the rotor cracked and grounded through the distributor shaft.
    Might check and replace both at the same time.
    Control module won't make it run rough. It either works or not.

7. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

New dist cap didn't fix the problem, bought the rotor as well but was not able to install it because I didn't have the right size star with me, going back to change it now. Any other ideas?

8. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

By "rough" was it surging or fees like it is going to stall? and did it do it at all RPM's .

If you can, get a timing light and put it on the coil wire to see if you have spark, if you do then put it on a plug wire to see if it is coming out of the dist.

If there is no spark at the coil then put a test light on the coil power wire to see if it is getting power there, if so you need a coil.

If there is spark, at the coil but not the plug, then something in the dist went bad.

If there is spark at the plugs, then it is a fuel problem.

This will help you greatly narrow your problem instead of just throwing parts at it hopping for the best.

9. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help, new dist cap and rotor button with no luck so far.

10. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

If no spark, check coil, ign module and crank postion sensor. All are known to be problems on the 4.3. Just a matter of narrowing it down, next to impossible to troubleshoot here. Easy in the shop with a test light and dvom.