4.3 liter v-6 pulling trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 18, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Could that engine in a 2wd checy regular cab work truck pull a dual axle trailer? Load would be 1 ztr currently but with a few pickups pulling 2 mowers might have to be an option.

Can it do the job? Would you only consider a v-8?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Should handle that fine. Those were some of the better engines GM ever put out IMO. Won't win any races but will pull.

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Yeah it will pull it, I think they make a 4.7L V8 for the older ram 1500's. Those had power and got good milegae

4. dstifel

4.7 is still used in rams work trucks through 2012 not so Hott on mpgs about the same as the hemi actually.

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Oh, I thought they went away with the 2nd gen body style! My bad!

6. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Just for comparison, last year we had a 5.0 V8 F150 pulling a 7x16 sq tube dbl axle with 52 vride, 42 homeowner JD, and 36 wb and it was struggling in the summer heat. Had to switch to our Titan mid summer cause the F150 just gave up and shut down one day while towing, lol.

7. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a great motor in an S-10. Pulling a loaded double axle trailer up hills will be taxing it. And in my experience it won't get better mileage pulling the load. It takes what it takes to yank a trailer with a gas motor. Either the 5.0 or 5.7 will not have to work as hard to get it done.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. weesa20

weesa20 LawnSite Member

Won't have any trouble....there's a reason this motor has been around essentially unchanged forever- we had one in 1991 and it pulled a 19' wooden runabout with family of four and camping gear all over New England and upstate ny no problems. Solid motor. As stated, won't win any races but it will get the job done.

9. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a 1991 GMC Vandura 2500 with the 4.3. I have pulled my 6x10 many miles loaded up with a 52z and a 36 WB. She doesn't get up to speed to quick. Just hit 230,000 miles and still going strong. I've since retired her to a mobile storage vehicle on our land. I am now using a 1998 C2500 Cheyenne with the 5.0 and it pulls the same trailer much better. Gets up so speed quicker. The 4.3 is a solid runner. Should be pretty good in a half ton truck.

10. dstifel

IF I'm not mistaken the 5.0 fords are fairly old though aren't they?