1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4:30 a.m. idea

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by brinlee lawn, Mar 3, 2006.

1. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe this has been done I do not no, but it is 4:30 in the morning so bare with me. What if you got all of the legatimate company's you could in your service area to particapate, and take out a half page or full page add in your local paper and say something like, here are your liscensed, insured and bonded company's to choose from.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That a really great idea! You should check with your tax preparer and see how that should be setup. You're talking something along the lines of a association type of thing. Also make sure there is ZERO mention of prices.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

This is a 6am response after plowing all night. Thats a great idea. You can separate yourselves from "less legit companies" There would have to be some accountability so some of the scrubs don't slide in. I would think you would even get some kind of discount.
  4. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

The add could state something like, Your locally participating landscape maint. contractors coming together to protect our customers. All contractors listed are fully liscensed, insured and bonded for your protection.

5. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you even tried to get a bond? Over half of the guys on this site would get turned down if they applied for one, including myself. It is a very difficult process. In addition with your 4am idea.... why not join your local chamber of commerce and promote your advantage that way. Futhermore do you think homeowners care about you having the proper license, most do not, just price. On the larger jobs yes but just cutting your lawn No. Just Keeping it Real !
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Thats true. Here it is against the law for a homeowner to hire a unlicensed contractor, but I have never heard of one getting a fine for doing so. Things will never change until they do. There are plenty of laws on the books, and associations to join to show your a professional, but until things are enforced nothing will change. And coming up with a new "group of professionals" wont do anything really.
  7. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a great idea but will never work for me. In my area, the other guys just dont understand that business is business. If I bid one of their properties, they take it personal and MF you all day long. I always tell them when they call: "You are always welcome to bid on my properties if you think you can manage them better" :)
  8. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea... but i doubt it will work... there will always be those people that dont care or are still uneducated and will hire anyone that claims to be a business.

Also there will always be those contractors that skate by without and see no reason for it all...

I don't think the impact would be that great.

9. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

How about just calling the paper and seeing if they want to do a story on uninsured contractors. Then they interview you and you can state all the facts, pros, cons, and whatever. Then talk a little about your company maybe get a picture and a number in there too!!! You get the drift right??Ok now that I gave you some free personal advertisement advice how about sending me a little check.. lol.. hey worth a try!!
  10. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

No liscence required here unless you work in the tow, Any work done outside of the town, in the county, does not require a liscence. Wyoming has no regulations on being liscenced for a lot of things.