4 AC Weed/Feed Sprayer-Spreader Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by troland, Sep 28, 2013.

1. troland

troland LawnSite Member

We just acquired our first estate property 4 ac. I am looking for recommendations for a sprayer setup, as well as large spreader recommendations. Do y'all recommend building a setup, i.e mounting a sprayer on a zero turn, or modifying a TSC type pull behind, etc. We will be spraying pre-emergents/weed control & using spreader for granule fertilizers. Any recommendation would be helpful.

2. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

If it's your only large property, you might can just use your skid sprayer and push spreader. On large properties, I personally use an atv with a 25 gal tank, 12 v pump and a 14 ft boom. For dry products, I use a herd atv77. I really like the boom sprayer. The herd spreader is just ok.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

A used dedicated ride on such a z spray or perma green might be another option
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

You would probably find other properties to use a ride on! They are quite handy!

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

4 acres is a lot to cover. If you think you're in the biz for the long haul and will have larger properties then I think a machine such as the Z-Spray is the way to go.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Use your present equipment for the first year...then...if you land other large properties...and if you retain the big job for next year--go for a ride-on. Be sure to do a really good job; keep the customer happy. Customers pay your salary.
    You don't want to buy some expensive equipment--if you lose the account next year.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If the ground will support the weight of your truck, a boom fed by your skid sprayer is another way to do it.

8. troland

troland LawnSite Member

I appreciate all of the responses. I was looking at some of the ride on sprayers, but like you suggested, I want to wait till I get another(or few more) larger properties. The areas to be sprayed are cut up, with pool, walking paths, 25k sq foot house, garages, etc . (plus hills). The turf is mainly st. Augustine, with a mix of some zoysia. It would probably hold the weight of our trucks, but the turf areas are so broken up by structures, I wouldn't be able to get my trucks in some of the areas. Unless, I used a Japanese truck with a skid maybe...hmmm..Can you get good coverage out of a tow behind 25 gallon boom sprayer? I have read several of y'alls previous post, and I believe with proper calibration; Nozzles (AI) I believe greendoctor recommends, you can get good coverage. Thoughts? Thanks again for the replies.

Troland

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

In another time, "estate sprayers" were marketed. 25-50 gallon tank on a trailer, gas driven pump, and ability to fit a boom on the sprayer. Unfortunately, most of the tow behind sprayers have electric pumps and their "booms" are two flood nozzles spaced far apart. I am fond of gas driven pumps for their ability to provide good agitation and have enough pressure/volume to run a boom with AI tips. Not having agitation forces you to fill from a nurse tank with good agitation and worry about keeping the load in suspension while spraying. You said this rig would be used to treat St Augustine, with some zoysia. A lot of what is sprayed on those grasses is not a clear liquid. I treat those grasses too and most of what I am applying is either a DG, WP or a flowable. What I mentioned about the boom fitted to the back of my truck is only for open fields. Most of my properties are extremely cut up or completely inaccessible to vehicles. 300-400 ft of hose and a hand held boom is more manageable.

10. greenlawnpro

greenlawnpro LawnSite Member

Wow! Ai tips are about the worst idea you can give to this guy. Way to much drift, and as far as coverage nothing beats a flat fan. I personally use tee-jets 8003. As far as an inexpensive set up, buy a atv type sprayer and mount it to a riding lawn tractor. It doesn't take much to make a bracket or have a welding shop put one on for you. I spray about 700 yards a year that average 20,000 sqft. Currently use a skid tank sprayer, and a simplicity 23hp tractor with the atv sprayer mounted on the back with a dry spreader that i can mount on the same bracket. Can switch them out in about 15 min. As far as cost i had a $400 investment in the sprayer from a local farm store and bought a spyker 12v spreader for around 1k. The spreader is worth every dime! With the 12v pumps make sure you get over a 3gpm pump if you are going to have a boom. I run about 22 psi and can cover about an acre per fill. Best of luck and forget the idea about a pg.