4 calls in my street

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by garth1967, Feb 20, 2006.

1. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

i got 4 calls in my street for quotes i dont usually do lawns in my street but im thinking its a good earn. what would you guys do
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Why don't you do lawns on your street? I have only one on my street but it's real easy. Sometimes I stop on the way home. Sometimes I go home and then drive the Z up there with the trimmer. It's only 5 houses down. I even walk back up there with the blower.
  3. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I never do lawns on my street or even neighborhood.
    That means you have to look at the lawn everyday.
    If they dont pay, you have to stare at the guy all the time.
    There are many more reasons but most get my point.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I would do a lawn right next to me if he wanted. I can see how this could be a double edge sword though, if you don't do a decent job or the guy turns out to be a real PITA then your stuck dealing with him coming down to the house and bugging you etc. I actualy mow a lady 2 houses behind us and she comes over from time to time but only to add some services and pre pay so its not all that bad. I guess I'm just a lawn ho,lol I'll take just about any lawn if it benefits me, and something I don't have to drive or is on the way to other stops, yeah I'm all over that. I would be very picky about how I think the guy or lady is towards me, because the last thing I want is a bitchy customer at my door after a long day of mowing.
  5. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

We do all our neighbors except one, and several others down the street its great, drop the gate and cut 8 lawns stop home and grab lunch or a drink, we also fertilize half of the cuts and some others who cut the lawn themselves. Never had a problem with neighbors not paying.
  6. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Sounds like a good deal.
  7. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I actually do not pass out flyers to anyone in my neighborhood. But last year my two neighbors asked me to do their lawns. I was really hesitant at first but I figured that I couldnt say no. It all worked out pretty good for the most part. The one house pays right away, they actually go out of their way when it is the end of the month to always ask for a bill and they cut me a check right away. And the other one, paid most of the time until the last month (oct/nov) It is now February, and they still havent paid. I have sent them a couple of bills so far, and havent heard from them. Its kind of awkward, but its not like I was ever on speaking terms with them. No one in the neighborhood really talks to them. Anyways, so I kinda am still waiting to get paid, thats really when it gets sticky. Normally everyone else that I had that didnt pay, I sent out threatening letters, but I have hesitated against doing this to my neighbor, it just doesnt feel right. I do not know what I will do about it yet, I guess I am going to wait to see what they in the Spring.

8. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

Its all money in my pocet. If they are a PITA the get treated just as if they were any other PITA. My customers are awsome the only problem I have ever had with any of them was late payments. I make them sign an agreement about the prices of my services and state there is a $10 late fee if not paid when due. The fist time they are late I call them and explain the late fee and offer to waive it this time if they send the payment that day. I also have many clients that are very bussy and give them the option to pay in advance, some even pay for the whole season up front.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

it may be fine for the neighborhood kid, but as a homeowner, all you need is problems with neighbors, ..... not a good idea....

no friends, family, or neighbors...
  10. Green Leaves

Green Leaves LawnSite Member

I am great friends with almost everyone on our street and have no problem with doing work for them. Before I started my company all of their houses looked terrible so it was a no brainer for both of us. 16 houses for one stop, no windshield time, and my street is the best looking one in the neighborhood. I also am aware of the cons of this topic but the pros outweigh them. I recommend that you take that 5 drop stop.