1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4 calls today from lawn customers.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Feb 13, 2007.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

who want snow removal... their sidewalks shoveled.
    now we do not offer snow removal, never have. do you think by saying "no" to their request for snow removal puts us at risk in losing them as a lawn customer? I don't think it does.
    just starting a conversation here. and btw, we ended up telling 2 "yes", and the other 2 "no".
    the 2 that got "yes's" we just felt sorry for as they are elderly.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is a lesson I learned the hard way, as in the example of class-D to class-F yards where the owners are SURE they want it totally refurbished in September, and how much would I charge to cut the grass in the meantime (which in effect hardly exists).

As you might guess the outcome of the story is that either they never got the yard refurbished, or they called someone else. In other cases, they change their mind in September, have to do this next year, some expense has come up (or some other likely story), and in a few cases, come September their grass miraculously has stopped growing and my services are no longer needed... (perhaps a good lol is in order right about now)
    That's after I busted my tail in some dustbowl of a moss-covered weed infested yard for the better part of the season while watching my machines' 150-dollar bearing sets get sandpapered alive by the grit, for the same money as a class-C or better turf.
    Oh yeah, I Lol'd just now.

If the above examples are the extreme of what you speak of, it is nevertheless how I learned it is best to not base present decisions on the possibility of future sales, no matter how possible.
  3. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

first if you dont offer snow removal then i would not think it would.sounds like you might could make some good money!being from Alabama we dont see snow much if any.what does one make for doing something like that?
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Jodi, I always tried to be as "full service" as possible. People are busy, and if one call can take care of what they need, I feel they will go that way. I really don't enjoy snow removal, but we do it. Everything from plowing commercial lots to putting down salt, to brushing the snow off of the little old lady's Toyota. They pay a premium for it, as we are out sometimes in the middle of the night, even plowed Christmas night a few years ago.
    I just always believed that people will spend money with people they like. If they like me and I can provide all of their outside work, as well as irrigation, fertilizing, and arrange for carpentry and home improvements, they aren't going to shop around. They will call me.
    And don't forget that if another contractor gets the snow work, it is a way for them to get their foot in the door for other services. As far as saying yes to the elderly clients, I would have done the same:)
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have to many customers who DON'T want snow removal done. Most of them do it them-selves but I am usually kept on call in the event of a big storm.

I enjoy providing snow removal very much and wish I could get all my customers to sign with me for it!! JMO

To answer your question,
    I think it might upset your customers a bit but if it's something you don't want to do; don't do it. It does seem like a good way to generate some winter time cash flow though.
  6. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Got to agree about not worrying too much about doing a service that you don't ordinarily do. If they drop you over that they would have thought up another reason if you had accomodated them. lol Everyone in our area either has a tractor, backhoe, snowblower, fourwheeler or knows someone else who will do it for free so it's hard to compete with that.
  7. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

^^I guess it would have been easier to just say "I wouldn't have said yes"
  9. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Do you know someone that does snow removal?
    If so you could give them a referral
    Everybody wins your customer gets someone to shovel snow
    The guy you referred them to gets a job
    You don't have a disappointed customer because you couldn't help them
  10. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Are your employees working now? If not, send them out there to do it. You're a little further north than me so you probably get more snow than i do. We do not usually get much, and when we do, it's usually gone the next day. However, every few years we do get that freak snow storm. I do not advertise snow removal. but i always tell my clients if they need it done when it snows, just call me and i will get to them in the order they call. Now as i only have small residential lawns, i would just throw a shovel in the pickup and go do it.

Now with that said. the question was do you think you would lose that customer if you said no? I don't think so. But you never know. that 1 time you did not do it might be the time the customer says to himself, i am gonna find someone to do my shoveling from now on. If that person also happens to do lawns and lanscaping, you may lose him.