4 cycle Stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TotalCareSolutions, Mar 17, 2003.

1. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone own a 4 cycle Stihl Trimmer (or other)?
    Im told quiter, much better gas and = power.

2. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I've ran Shindaiwas, and its a very good trimmer, pretty quiet, not the lightest on earth but not the heaviest either. Had really good power in all positions.

3. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Note:

The only reason Stihl and some other manufacturers are switching to 4 cycle type machines is that.....

THEY CAN'T GET THEIR 2-CYLCE STUFF PAST THE EPA!!

There are more moving parts, more service that needs to be done on a REGULAR basis (adjusting valves etc.) they are heavier with less RPM. More expensive. If this4-cycle was so great...Stihl and others would have done it YEARS ago!! The EPA is forcing them into this mess.

2-cycle is the standard and will continue to be the standard for a long time to come for the manufacturers who build quality units that surpass EPA requirements.

All Echo units are rated as commercial grade engines and are all 2-cycle. ALL Echo engines pass the new EPA requirements!!

PS....RedMax has a pretty good handle on this situation as well.

4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, I think it's called 4-Mix

Info on the stihl site:
    http://www.stihlusa.com/news_fourmix.html

Havn't tried it yet, but I think it's only about .7 lbs heavier than a comparable trimmer.

I think i'll stick with my 2-cycles for now.

Echo-rules: I wouldn't be suprised if echo came out with some type of 4-cycle:)

5. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Echo will be indroducing a line of 4 cycles next year according to my dealer. The fact is the new 4 cycles have all the benefits of a 2 stroke.

Echo is behind the game in this technology.

6. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

Well echo has a few years to catch up there the only ones that have all there 2 cycle stuff up to standars for what i think is 2006 or something like that i cant remeber exactly of the top of my head.

7. TotalCareSolutions

Dealer here tells me Stihl should be available early April in stores. Should be a good product.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

To the original question about the Stihl's, I think they will be good machines but I will not buy them until next season. Let the 1st year bugs go to others. We don't have time for the downtime. I'll probably buy several more FS85's this year.

9. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

So can you turn them upside down and they'll still run?:confused:

10. TotalCareSolutions

I asked the upside down question and they said: "absolutely"