4 Cycle String Trimmer Recommendation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buddhaman, Jun 27, 2007.

1. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

Looking for a new string trimmer. I don't want to mix gas and oil. I want a straight shaft that comes apart for attachments. Does anyone have any recommendations?
  2. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Stihl KM90 or KM130 lots of power and torque with plenty of attachments available.
  3. buddhaman

I want a 4 cycle though. The Stihl won't work.
  4. greatlawns

greatlawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

In all honesty, I would not recommend a 4 cycle trimmer. I thought the same thing about mixing oil/gas and figured maybe I can get away from doing that. I tried several 4 cycle trimmers from Craftsman, Home Depot, etc and they are all terrible in my opinion. They just don't seem to run at the same high RPM as the 2 strokes and they are VERY difficult to start. I'm not sure why, but every one I tried was very hard to get started and keep running initially. Once they warmed up, they were ok. They were also much heavier and harder to maneuver.

I currently have 2 Stihl 4-mixers and a Redmax BCZ2400 and highly recommend them.

Just my 2 cents.
  5. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Not sure why you would go to Home Depot or Sears to buy a trimmer but whatever. You dont have to run at 13,000 RPM to do the work, the gear head can still be geared to turn the same speed.

The only 4cycle (non mix) that is worth anything is the Honda, nothing else competes!
  6. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

I really like my Honda four cycle trimmer. But Robin's four cycle trimmer is outstanding as well. Much less expensive and right now I have another Solo model trimmer with the Robin engine coming to me for $179.00 total price.

This model is straight shaft as you asked, easy to start, and very quiet. It is great for trimming use. This engine has good reviews in the industry. It will last a long time on one tank of gas!

good luck what ever you choose:waving:
  7. saw man

from utah

Forgot about the Robin, they make a nice unit as well. Check for dealers in your area, here Robin is not very popular so parts are hard to get.
  8. buddhaman

I currently have a Dolmar 4 cycle trimmer and it's the best one I've used. Had it about 3 years. Much more efficient than my other 2 cycle. It has plenty of power. The only thing any dealers here can get that are 4 cycle and have the split shaft for attachments is the Husqvarna 324LDx for $369 and $99 for the edger kit.
  9. saw man

from utah

The Dolmar unit is made by Robin, the Husky unit is a Honda engine and you can get the Honda unit for cheaper than the Husky.
  10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

If you are interested in Robin or Dolmar dont forget to check for Makita dealers as they have some of the units too.

I dunno if they offer any split shaft stuff though.

Does Honda make any split shaft stuff?