1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4 cycle trimmer and grass gator ?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cooleddie, May 31, 2004.

1. cooleddie

cooleddie LawnSite Member

i recently purchased a troybilt curved shaft 4 cycle string trimmer from Lowe's. i also bought the grass gator 4 line load n cut trim attachment. i installed the grass gator attachment and cut for about 10 minutes before the machine broke. it seemed to sputter and shake w/ the gator attachment whenever the trim hit thicker grass or against the fence. it was like it was struggling to get back up to speed. once it caught up, then it would spin fine. well, after 10 minutes, the spool quit spinning. when i took the boom attachment apart, the shaft inside was broken off so that's why the spool quit spinning. we took it back to Lowe's and they gave us a new boom for the cutting end. well, it still seems to have the same type of problem w/ the grass gator attachment. i'm afraid to keep running it in fear that it will do the same thing. should i go to a 2 cycle engine, maybe a straight shaft, or get rid of the grass gator?? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
  2. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

straight shaft you lose to much power with curve shaft
    and stihl tanaka shin echo is the way to go on trimmers if you try a stihl or something along those lines you will never want to go back
  3. cooleddie

cooleddie LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice, chuckers. i will check into those brands.
  4. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

The only curved shaft that I'd consider is the Robin N-252-1, about $179. All their trimmers (including 4-cycle) are real workhorses (do a search here or see www.robinoutdoorpower.com) and a couple of pounds lighter than any comparable units.
  5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i am also not to fond of the 4 cycle due to the fact the trimmer is used on its side etc not always straight
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

A grass gator will kill a troy trimmer every time,they are not built for heavy trimming.
    Use a standard head on it and it will work fine.
  7. fleetus

fleetus LawnSite Member

The exact same thing happened to me. I bought a 4-cycle from Lowes. Ran it for a month or so until I got tired of fighting with the spool, changing line all the time. I bought a Load-n-cut and was ecstatic with how well it cut and how easy it was to change line. By the second time I used it to cut, the EZ-LINK attachment system on the Troy Bilt broke. The drive shaft would not engage the attachments at all. I took it back and Lowes replaced the whole trimmer. But I don't trust that Load-n-cut any more. It vibrates and shakes until it is up to high RPM's. I believe it is the reason my trimmer broke in the first place. Oh, also, a friend of mine has the straight shaft version of the Troy Bilt 4-cycle and he uses the Load-n-cut head. His has not died yet after a few months but he does have the same vibrating/shaking problem. I suspect the straight shaft version has more power to move the load-n-cut head but it is probably going to break at some point anyway.