1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4-cycle trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardmonkey, Apr 7, 2001.

1. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in getting a 4-cycle trimmer, mainly because there would be (I assume) far less vibration. I know that Honda makes a couple of them, but I think they are pretty heavy. It looks like Ryobi makes one and I found one by Robin - http://www.wiproducts.com/outdoor/bh2500.html
    I wonder if anyone has used any of these. I am used to the reliability of Echo and Shindaiwa and am skeptical that Ryobi would be of good quality. Have never heard of Robin. They claim theirs is the lightest one at 11.6 lbs. Anyone know of other 4-cycle trimmers? Anyone use Robin or Ryobi or Honda 4-cycle trimmers? Any other comments?
    Thanks, Terry Slade
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They may be OK, but remember, a 4 stroke incoporates many more moving parts....Camshaft of some type, pushrods, rocker arms, valves, and an oiling system capable of upside down use. It just doesn't make any sense when you consider how maintenance free 2 stroke equipment really is. The only plus would be....more low RPM power, same gas can as regular mowers. For me, i'll stick with the 2 strokes.

3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

2-cycle is reliable, but the EPA is tightening regulations on them. It is only a matter of time before there will be no 2-cycle stuff. It's just too dirty.

BTW, the Robin 4-cycle is a good trimmer, but expensive. Redmax also makes one, but it's a bit heavy. Ditto with Honda, very heavy.
  4. Me and Shin go back to when they introduced the t-25 model. So, when I switched to the Honda 4-stroke it was an experiment of sorts. I knew it was a little heavier than most trimmers but gave it a try. I used it for 6 mos and bought a new Shindiawa t-270 (still have my t-27 that replaced the t-25). Can't change me. The Honda is very smooth,smoke free. But it does lack the top end power you seem to get with the t-270. And it vibrates about the same as 2-cycles.

My Honda sits now as a spare!

Robin has always had excellent products. Have not used though.