1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4 cyl toyota pulls trailer!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnboy dan, Sep 12, 2007.

1. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i just bought a t100 4 cyc auto trans and was skepical if it would pull my trailer. well i just finished my first day of work with it and it did great! hoping for better than 10mpg my silverado got.
  2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Yea, just wait until you have to stop the damn thing. Good luck
  3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

You must have a small/ lite trailer.
  4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

t100 are the older "half ton" trucks right?...i believe they are and i have seen one landscaper around here pulling a 7K trailer with 2 mowers on it with a regular cab 4x4 T100...seems like it handles the weight well
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure how big of a trailer you have there but a 4banger will burn up quick if it is too heavy...also as stated before its not pulling it thats hard, stopping it is where the problem lies.
  6. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

I'll admit, the pickup you have is very reliable, but i would highly recommend a manual trans over that auto. You have an excellent motor (R22), but you need a stick shift to go along with it.
  7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

A 350 not working hard isn't going to burn up much more fuel than a 4 cylinder that's screaming all the time. Good luck merging into traffic with the trailer hooked.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my trailer is only 5x10 and stopping was no problem. this isnt the 22r engine-its a huge 2.7 four bangger . its the cressida/supra engine with 2 cyl chopped off. its called the 3rz -fe
  9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Guy around here has been pulling a 12ft trailer w/ a ZTR and a WB since 1995 and uses the truck to plow 190,000 miles he starts and stops just fine.
  10. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a T100 forgot to mention.