4 Cylinder Box Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ToroLandscaper, Jul 3, 2005.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering about box trucks i see them around here and looked at them online and alot of them are 4 Cylinder Deisels with 16 foot boxes (well priced) i was wonder do you all think that that is enough to haul mowers and landscaping materials also do you think you could pull a trailer behind one i know there is a landscaper around here that has a 4 cylender one and there is a HUGE landscaping company (common grounds) that uses them but they are not box trucks they are open im not sure if they are 4 cylinders my brother used to work for them and he said they hauled alright but he wasnt sure what size engine they were so do you all think that a 4 cylinder deisel would would haul okay?? ANY COMMENTS APPRECIATED

2. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I got a '99 NPR diesel/5sp. I have to say that this is the best investment that I have made so far. The truck drives and turns exceptionally well. Much better than a truck/trailer combo. It has enough power for what it hauls. Everything that I haul weighs around 4-5k lbs. Keep in mind that this is a 'city' truck. It tops out at around 60-65 mph. So if you want to drive a lot of distances (highways) it might not be the best.

As far as pulling a trailer, I don't but, i believe they will pull fine. I'm sure there is someone here that tows with one.

3. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

we have a nrr. 6 cyl. plenty of power with a 16 foot box.

4. ToroLandscaper

Does anyone here haul a trailer with one?

5. ToroLandscaper

or does anyone else use a 4 cyclinder engine deisel

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I had a mitsu fuso 4 cyl that pulled a trailer fine... Not the fastest thing but it worked

7. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

My dad had one with a 5spd, I hauled my bobcat with it once or twice...it wasn't the fastest thing but it hauled it fine.

8. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

we pull a 25 foot tandem axle trailor with a 50 horse john-deere and a sabre tooth tiger. it is the 6 cyl. tho.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

They are definetely not meant to pull a trailer everyday. It kind of defeats the purpose if you are pulling a trailer. Mine gets about 10 miles to the gallon and tops out at 70, but it is a dedicated work horse that works really well for us.