4 cylinder truck for pulling trailer???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by S man, Jun 1, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I'm looking at getting truck and found a immaculate condition 03 toyota tacoma 4 door with a 4 cylinder engine. Would I be able to pull a open trailer with about 1200 lbs of equipment on it(exmark lazer 46 and push mower)? Also the trailer is a 5X12. If it is too much would a smaller trailer for just the mower and put everything in the pickup work better? Advice is needed. Thanks!
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I think it should be fine. I used a little '94 nissan 4 cyl pickup for several years to tow around a walker and JD 21" push mower in a 5x10 tandem axle trailer. No problems for me.
  3. S man

Like I said this truck is awsome and is priced right!
  4. S man

Anyone else have advice on this?
  5. tras

tras LawnSite Member

Dont waste your money, get a real truck imo.
  6. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

with gas prices the way the are? i think it'd be wasting money out the ears to get a full size.
  7. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I pull a 5x10 single axle with a quick 36, 21", handhelds, etc on it with a v6 nissan frontier. The truck pulls it ok but strains more than I'd like. The mileage with the trailer is awful (under 15mpg) even with a v6. I'd get better mileage with an american v8 (although I'd hate to buy one). I'm considering an f150, dodge 1500, or chevy 1500 for my next truck. In short, I would not buy a 4 cylinder truck with towing in mind. You'd beat the crap out of that tranny if nothing else. Also, the difference in mileage would be negligible while towing.
  8. tras

tras LawnSite Member

Just like the above post said...

Why buy a truck that is too small to pull the trailer? A 4 cyl. working its ass off to pull a trailer will do worse than a small V8 that cant even feel the trailer behind it. No, he doesnt need some big 3/4 ton truck but a decent 1/2 ton with a small V8 would be his best bet.
  9. S man

Okay. Thanks for the advice.
  10. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Getting rid of the 1/2 ton... Too small. What happens when your customers start wanting mulch jobs, etc? The F150 is too small for us already. 1 ton here we come. I'm already talking trade with a couple guys out here that want to downsize their trucks. Man I wish I could find a well priced 1 ton dump bed!