4 day work weeks save $$$$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nosparkplugs, Jul 7, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Companies, colleges, and governments are moving to four-day work weeks across the country. For us one less day of labor, and fuel used has saved money. I have been trying this for a month with great success; however as business grows or weather patterns change we do change the work schedule for 4 to 5 days as needed. It really has worked out so far. Works are better rested, and work hard longer with a extra day off.
  2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I could see it working but I would be afraid of losing one of my men who might go out and look for work on the off day.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

wow im trying to keep my guys under about 135 hrs in a two week period i dont think it woudl work with 4 day weeks but good luck with that
  4. b121774

b121774 LawnSite Member

We did four 'tens' last week for the holiday and it was nice having a 3 day weekend but those 11-12 hour days killed me. 5 9-10 hour days I can handle.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, the flipside of that nice little pay raise / inflation coin...

First since everybody needs a raise they get paid more to work,
    they cut your hours you don't have to come in but four days
    out of a week anymore so you have more free time because you

get to do the same work in less time now see it all adds out isn't life peachy?

Can't say I didn't plow into this one head first myself either,
    and France went this route years ago, but entirely right it isn't.
  6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not total adopting the 4 day work week yet, but condensing the work into 4 days when possible with friday or a monday off does sit well with my guys, and save money.
  7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking about this same thing today. I think it would work for my crew this time of year, but in spring and fall when things are much busier I'm not sure we'd get it all done in 4 days.
    I ran it by the guys this AM, if things slow down and we skip some lawns b/c it gets dry they may end up working 4 days/ wk, no complaints from them! No complaints from me, as long as the customers and the workers stay happy, and my bills get paid, I'm happy.
  8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Sounds like a good idea but unfortunatly if I have anything less than 65-70 hours booked they get cranky.
  9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been mowing on a four day week for the last two years. We save Saturday and Monday for landscape projects and/or rain days. The crews don't complain as they easily get 50 hours in a 4 day week if all else fails.
  10. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

we have done that for a couple of years now and everybody including me loves it. I agree it does help save $$$$, easier on the equipment, trucks etc. (less chance for wrecks, accidents) and helps morale as well.