1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4 footers and gates...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, May 27, 2004.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Well a lot of you know I'm leaning toward getting a 48" over the 36" now. I have 2 houses that I really need a large mower to get through a 38" gate though, hehe. One of them is a deep, brick fence. I don't think this one would be possible...

And my other has a 38" fence but it a typical wooden one. I have heard all this stuff about tipping them up and what not, but have had absolutely no luck with my Bobcat 48" mower. Its like it only worsens the problem lol.

What all are the techniques you use?

And probably more importantly, how much trouble is it to add a new gate or make a gate bigger. Doing this once may be worth it on a lot of my lawns, especially while I am not so busy. How much would the hardware cost me and how much time does it ususally take? Thanks!

Maybe I should find a "beater" 36" belt drive. Anyone got one for $500 or less?
  3. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Me again...

So much easier to demonstrate than describe. With a 48 or even in some circumstances a 52, you shoot at the gate with a left angle(?). Use the brake, lift the deck and "angle the left side of the cutter deck to the inside of the (opened) gate. Slowly release the right brake and ease the rest of the deck in. (Key word: (Slowly!) Once you're in you've got a start, getting out might be the real problem..:D It can be done, I'm sure somone here might be better able to describe their methods.

As for changing gates.., If you can talk the client into a minor improvement that boosts your productivity and keeps their cost down, everyone is happy and your job is easier. In the case of chain link 32-33" gates, remove the aluminum cap that holds the gate in place, lift the gate straight up, remove it and work your mower in (36 or 48 depending on gate type and placement). Cut and reverse procedure. Much easier than it sounds in print, if I had some video I'd post it. Again it depends on gate placement, if the gate "rides" the house/garage, etc. it's more difficult. One thing's for sure, always make sure the gate is re-installed if you take it off if you want a happy client.
  4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

When I helped BHB last summer, he just took the section of chain link off and rolled it up while we were doing a backyard. When we were done it just gets re-installed.. Took 2-3 minutes both ways and its pretty easy for two people to do.
  6. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Modify the gate.

Usually you can get the client to buy the materials and you provide the labor in the interest of you not needing to give them a price increase-

Do this in the dormant season at your own expense if necessary.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have gotten my 48 through gates less than 48 but I don't think you can get a 48 through a 38" gate opening.

and by that I mean keeping the drive wheels on the ground.

in one situation I had to loosen the hinge straps on the post and rotate them so that the gate was moved away from the opening (which is about the same thing as removing the gate).

dropping one castor helped.

8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Modified a gate on sat. so we can get the 48" walker into the huge back yard at this ladie's house, goin to save us so much time over the 36". We put all the cost onto us but i am sure the customer may chip in if enticed.

I talked one of my clients into it today. Its not even her house, but I think it is her sons and I'm sure he won't care. You won't be able to tell from the outside.