4' gate

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mr. k, Aug 1, 2004.

1. mr. k

mr. k LawnSite Member

hey guys, question for you all here. last season i got a good deal on a 6X12 open trailer. since then i only used it for a 36 and 48 inch WB. well business is growing so its time for a ztr. well i'm worried that the slope on the gate is too steep for a ztr and will scrape the bottom of it when it is loaded onto the trailer. any suggestions as far as any type of gate extensions? should i get a new gate (how much?), new trailer???, use 2"X12" wooden ramps? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......thanks guys in advance............i know i should have passed on the good deal, but hindsight's 20/20.....
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My Stander scrapes a little but it is no big deal. It is 61" deck, not that it matters......

You can:
    -raise your hitch ball a little
    -just deal with it
    -spend $300+ on a new gate

Now that I think about it, if your ZTR has a adjustable deck you should not have a problem.

3. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

Do you tow with a reciever hitch? If so turn the reciever part around so that the ball is sitting as high as it can. This will decrease the angle on the gate.
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

More wear and tear on hitch and coupler. I had one that was like that it gave me about 1-2' extra gate and it was great but lowering the jack was a pita because u had to have two cinder blocks underneath it to make it be there with equipment on it.
  5. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

What kind of jack did you have? My jack swings away and has a wheel on it.
  6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't try to lower the back end by raising the front (via coupler height). It is not safe. The trailer should sit as level as possible.
  7. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

Sorry meant to clarify don't look like a dumb @$$ if you do it. It can be unsafe. But you would be amazed how many people have it going the other way.
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a welded in permenant jack. It doesen't swing away. It's made by bulldogg. And it is just a pipe on the bottom not even a closed bottom. Just a pipe. :angry: I can't believe the price for the trailer and what you can get in this area. It was the best trailer for the money but their VERY overpriced here. I paid $1250 for a 5x10 single with a jack and 4' gate. :cry:
  9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

the 4' gate will be fine. just lift the deck up before you go up and down with the Z.
  10. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Drive to your ZTR dealer with the trailer and try it. Probably will work fine if the deck is up all the way.