4 in 1 machines

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by evergreenmike, Oct 25, 2007.

1. evergreenmike

evergreenmike LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about purchasing a 4 in 1 machine does anyone know much about them I've seen patriot and craftsman models are there other kinds that are better I like to have one that vacs,chips,shreds and blows.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Save your money.

3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

That was going to be my exact quote after reading the post.

4. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

If you are doing lawn care as a business, why are you looking at craftsman anything? Plus, its not how many things one person's machine can do that's important. Its how many machines that one person can own. I have 7 things that vac, 3 things that chip, and I lost count on all the things that blow. best of all, not one of them is a craftsman.

5. evergreenmike

evergreenmike LawnSite Member

any suggestions on what to purchase for a walkbehind vac

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes....ANYthing but a walk behind vac. Do some searching on this subject. There is very little to absolutely no use for them. I kind of like the way I put it a few years ago when I said What if there were a machine that would collect leaves and debris, vacuum, and chop and grind them all up - reducing the leaves by 10times. Oh yeah,...there is.....it's called a lawnmower.

7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Well, never say never. I want to remind you thousands of lcos utilize the walk behind vacuum in more ways than you can imagine.

Believe it or not, the mower can't go everywhere...:laugh:

True, the mower does great on the lawns except for hard to get out pine needles, large heavy sticks, rocks(yes even those need to come out) and numerous items too heavy for the mowers suction. At times, they are even too much for the vacuum, walk behind or the Tennant we use, so that's where the tow sweeper comes in.

Back to the vacuum, there are tons of applications where leaves, cigarette butts, etc.. need to be picked up from other areas than lawn...

Of course, if you do only residential that may explain your slant on things, but for lcos doing non residential, there are many other surfaces to be cleaned up than lawns.

Not trying to start something, just pointing out what happens on the other side of your fence.

"I'm thinking about purchasing a 4 in 1 machine does anyone know much about them I've seen patriot and craftsman models are there other kinds that are better I like to have one that vacs,chips,shreds and blows."

My advice is if you really want to buy it after reading all the advice on this board and searching and reading other posts, buy it. That is how you sometimes learn best, trying and never stop learning.

Good luck.

:)

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we use our walk behind vacs every day.

we vac all our condominium parking lots

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Figured I had made a bad mistake purchasing a commercial wb vac. Then picked up a lucrative residence and the owner insists the drive has to be vac'ed. So it has paid for itself a few times.

But it is not very good for leaves. And it is nasty to empty. And it is slow.

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly my point. With condos it's a very handy tool.