4 inch or 6 inch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bearcatlawn, Feb 17, 2006.

1. bearcatlawn

bearcatlawn LawnSite Member

What size pipe do you guys use to tie in downspouts? There are 6 downspouts that have to go about 200 ft.

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used both with no problems, but have used the 6" more than the 4". Given that many points of water collection I'd go with the 6", especially if you plan to tie any of them together.

3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i like 4" preferated works well if down spout is 6 inch go 6" preferated

4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

4" out of a 9x9 drain box

:)

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I use 4" mainly and it depends on where you want the water to be weather or not you use perforated.
    no use in hooking up a drain line if it is just going to drain right back out where you are trying to move it away from.

6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

4" should be plenty....you would be surprise the amount of volume you can push through a 4" pipe.

7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You can actually calculate the pipe size based on the area you are draining and the storm intensity that you want to be able to handle. Four inch pipe can handle quite a bit of roof in what we design for - 2.5" of rain with a one hour duration. That is a 25 year storm where I am.

You can find calculation formulas on some downspout manufacturers websites if you really want to do it.

8. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

we almost always run 4" it moves alot of water. why do you have to run it so far? i always run them away from house and put in a pop up.

9. Groundkeeperz

Groundkeeperz LawnSite Member
    from VA

4" works good

6" is expensive and usually overkill

10. Groundkeeperz

Groundkeeperz LawnSite Member
    from VA

6" is also harder to work with, meaning more time messing with something that probabbly isnt going to put anymore money in my pocket than the 4" that works great.