4 Man Crew!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kleen Kutz, May 9, 2014.

1. Kleen Kutz

Kleen Kutz LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ama,La

Well fellas, as of Monday I be running a crew of 4 men. That's myself and 3 of my workers of course. My man goal for that is to set myself up from working in my business and to work on my business. I'll run with them for at least 3 weeks to a month. I'm going to make sure they know the route inside out, front to back and side to side.

Yes, some days I'll be back on the truck for the heaviest days and the lighter days I'll be out marketing my business. There's several places I'm focus on getting.

My question to you guys is "What's the most effective way to get in and out a yard with 4 guys. My max time should be 10 minutes depending on size of yard? Now I have 2 on trimmers/edger and I'm on the ztr.

Also, it'll allow me to back up the crew at the same time and do landscaping as well. I've been pretty busy with that and I don't see it slowing down. Things is only getting better by the day. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

So guys thanks for your advise in advance!:waving:

I'm halfway at my goal for 2014 season!!!

2. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Congrats on having a good season, I never liked having a 4 man mowing crew in 1 truck, way to much downtime especially for small yards, but like you said it's just for 3 weeks to get your guys trained. I found it good this year 2 trucks 2 guys on each truck get's alot of work done, or if you only have 1 mowing truck 3 guys max i think works best. But it depends on how big your yards are also. Good luck again sounds like your doing good!

3. Kleen Kutz

from Ama,La

Yes 3 guys work best. But once they're trained I'm off to marketing. That's a must!!! Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a lot of lawns next door to each other? Drive time needs to be kept to a minimum when your paying 3 guys to sit in the truck.

5. Kleen Kutz

from Ama,La

Yes I have several stop with 3-5 yards next door and some are a mile or 2 apart. But I'm always I a certain area of the city each day. Plus I have large commercial accounts as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

I run 4 guys on a crew and it's great. 2 guys cut and 2 guys trim and the 2 guys that finish first start blowing off. We are very efficient and have had no issues. My guys know that if they are waiting for the other guys to blow off they should be doing something else like refueling equipment, pulling weeds, etc.

7. Kleen Kutz

from Ama,La

Yep that sounds bout right. Don't stand up with your hands in your pocket!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

I hope you got a crew cab truck, or else that might get uncomfortable, or not... haha

9. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

How on earth do you make money, though? Seems like 1 guy too many to me.

10. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

To each their own. The faster I am able to finish a house the more money I make therefore having 4 guys speeds up the process. I use to run with 3 but 4 is faster.