4 miles of fence + 1 acre with trees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What to bid?

A corporate Thorobred horse enterprise wants a price on 2 miles of fence cut (both sides = 4 miles) one pass with a ZTR.

The owner will mow the rest with a 16' mower.

Included is about 1 acre of steep slope mowing with about 50 evergreens to be trimmed around.

1 mile = 5280 ft * 4 = 21120' * 60" cut = 21120*5' cut=

total square feet 105600, or 2.42 Acres + 1 acre steep slope. Plus weed-eat about 1000 fence posts.

I bid $720 based on a max of (2) men for (2) days, but now I think I'm too high and that maybe I should have been around $550.00.

First I verbally told the manager of the place $400 and he said "son, you are too low on that you will find out its a lot more than you think"

Any input?

Thanks, Ken

2. Trauma

Trauma LawnSite Member

If they guy said you're too low, then you definitely left money on the table. Stick with your bid, that sounds like a lot of work, and they know it is too. They're not gonna go with the cheapest, they're gonna go with the guy they think will actually do the job for them.

Doug

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

As far as mowing along the fence, why not just figure it in miles per hour. If you run the ZTR at 4 miles and hour, it should only take an hour if it's only one pass.

4. Albemarle Lawn

There are a lot of dips, hills, and a lot of it is creekside.

I figure max .75-1.0 mph, plus the grass will be tall.

Thanks so far for the replies.

Ken

5. Albemarle Lawn

The new barn they are building:

Barn + indoor show area. Total $4.4 million not including the land, which is millions more.

6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

When it comes to horse people most of the time they will pay the good money, as long as things look good. I know there are exceptions to every thing, but most of them are not going to be taking the scrub route.

I probably would have charged an hour rate, or charged like you did. Figure two days labor, and gone with $700 to $800 for the job. I don't think you were out of line.