4 mix blower due out in june

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by odin, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Sthil is supposed to have the 4 mix blower out in june and just as soon as i can get my hands on one ..im gonna buy it and be the beta tester lol .

My dealer gave out some awesome specs if tru this more then puts sthil back in backpack pack competition with echo and redmax .

Any body else here about the specs on the 4 mix blower.

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I was waiting for someone to tell me that! We just bought 2 FS110's and a FC110 Stick Edger and they are Awesome. I don't even care if they are heavier, the power and lower noise are definately worth the weight.

3. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

I can not understand the concept of the Stihl 4 mix engine.

Why add weight and parts to wear out to an engine if you still have to mix oil with the fuel?

I can understand the smoother running and more torque will be producded as with all 4 stroke engines.

But cant you get that with say a Honda 4 stroke trimmer with out having to fix up a batch of mixxed fuel for it.

4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't really understand it either but i'm sure it has to do with emissions. One benefit to the 4mix is that it requires less mainenance than a true 4-cycle.

Odin -- do you have the specs on the new blower?

5. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Ryan
    How can emmisions be reduced? It uses a 50:1 mix ratio like all of the other Stihl products.

But instead of just lubing the piston, rings, crank bearings and rod. That same mixture has to now lube the added valves, cam with gears and valve springs. Seems to me that would put a lot of extra metal from worn parts into the combustion chamber. Especially during the break in period.

6. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

2 cycle is the accepted and wanted type of product for all hand held and back pack equipment and has been for years. Less moving parts, lighter, less maintenance etc.

2 cycle products are NOT going away. Quality manufacturers like RedMax and Echo have the technology to produce 2 cycle equipment for many years to come with no end in sight.

Don't be fooled by the companies that tell you that 4 mix type products are the future....it's only the future for the companies that do not have the technology to make high quality 2 cylce equipment.

4 mix is like foreskin.......you cut it loose and get rid of it as quickly as possible because neither serve a good purpose!!

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I guess thats the difference between the guy using the blower, and the guy designing it.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Lynyrd Skynryd wrote:

I can not understand the concept of the Stihl 4 mix engine.

Why add weight and parts to wear out to an engine if you still have to mix oil with the fuel?

I can understand the smoother running and more torque will be producded as with all 4 stroke engines.

But cant you get that with say a Honda 4 stroke trimmer with out having to fix up a batch of mixxed fuel for it.

There are 4 basic ways to lube an engine.

1: Wet sump. The oil and the oil pump are contained within the engine. It takes horsepower to run the oil pump plus you have the question of reliability. If the pump goes down there is no oil.

2: Slinger. This is where you have a paddle or other device that basically just throws oil all over the inside of the engine. It works well but it has the same problem that the wet sump system has.

3: Dry sump. This is similar to the wet sump except the pump and oil are contained outside of the engine. A lot of racing engines use this system but again it has the same drawbacks as the wet sump system.

4: Oil Mist. This is the type of oiling that 2 strokes use and some of the new 4 strokes like the Stihl 4 mix. In fact Kohler engines uses this to lubricate the top end (rocker arms etc) of their engines. The main advantage to it is you know for a fact that your engine is going to be lubed. It also requires less parts and is therefore a lighter engine. You don't have to worry about which way you orientate the engine. Upside down, right left, it's still going to get lubed. There is no oil to change periodically and therefore requires less maintenance.

He then went on to write:

Ryan
    How can emmisions be reduced? It uses a 50:1 mix ratio like all of the other Stihl products.

But instead of just lubing the piston, rings, crank bearings and rod. That same mixture has to now lube the added valves, cam with gears and valve springs. Seems to me that would put a lot of extra metal from worn parts into the combustion chamber. Especially during the break in period.

Here's another advantage to the mist oiling like Stihl has. Where would you rather have those break in metal flakes? In the combustion chamber where they can be expelled on the next stroke or in the "oil pan" where they just keep going round and round? In the oil pan they can still get into places like the piston skirt doing as much or more damage on the bottom of the piston as they would on the top.

On the issue of emissions. The EPA's issue isn't with the oil that is burned with the gas. Their issue is with the amount of unburned fuel that escapes on every rotation of the crank. 2 strokes are dirty engines. The reason for this is in the basic design of the engine. When the exhaust post is exposed (open) the intake port is also exposed. As the exhaust is discharged from the engine it sucks part of the intake charge with it. That is where the high emissions comes from.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a good post. All of the new clean burn 2 stroke engines I have tried are crap compared to the same models that they replaced. No matter who's product it is. I like the Stihl 4-mix units.

10. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

Anybody know what the retail price will be on the new blower? I run all stihl equipment primarily becasue of dealer support in my area, and may be in the market for a new blower by the summer time.

-Brandon