4-Mix Explanation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking for a four cycle trimmer, edger, and blower. I just want to avoid mixing gas if possible. I thought STIHL 4-Mix products were 4 cycle, but the website says they have a 50:1 oil ratio. Why do they even call them 4 mix? What companies make 4 cycle trimmers, edgers, and blowers? Link would be nice too. Thanks for the help.

2. MercyMe

MercyMe LawnSite Member

Honda is the only company that makes a true 4 cycle hand held trimmer and edger. They have a patent on the technology. That is one of the reasons Stihl and Shindaiwa have a 4 mess...oops I mean 4 mix engine.

3. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

If you're interested in a homeowner version, Troybilt makes a 4 cycle trimmer/blower/edger/hedge trimmer.

No idea if its any good or even quiet---- weighs 13 lbs I think.

4. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I know shindaiwa makes a 4 cycle trimmer, not sure about the edger though.

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

the 4 mix is a two stroke with an intake and exhaust valve. So basically they have 4 stroke characteristics, but are still 2 strokes. I've heard mixed reviews on them. Some say they are awesome, have a lot of torque, and smooth running. Although this is probably true, it seems like more things to break, and a heavier motor. Also, i think it has to do with the growing concern of emissions. I've always like stihl, but i think i'm going echo next time for the true 2 stroke.

6. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    Just to clarify, Shindaiwa C4 technology is like Stihl - hybrid 4 stroke - not true 4 cycle.

Echo, Tanaka, Redmax are some of the 2-stroke only manufacturers that are compliant.

-MW

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I don't quite understand how those hybrids work. Why would they need mix, no oil in the crankcase? How does the mix get down under the piston to lube the crank?

8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd have to agree with "mercyme" about the 4 mess. The stihl is junk in my opinion. I took it to the dealer 3 weeks after buying it because the valves needed adjusted. then the next day after blowing at 3 accounts they went out again. and it has to be pretty close to level on your back or else it will run rough and stall out. The only nice thing was it was real comfy (when it ran), it has really nice shocks on the motor so you feel little vibration and it wasn't really heavy. The echo 651 i have now is pretty harsh on the vibration but its got power and thats all i care about.

9. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Husky uses the Honda 4-cycle on select models.

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Its really complicated to explain if you're not extremely familiar with modifying and rebuilding 2 strokes.