4 mix problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sonny steele, Jan 23, 2006.

1. sonny steele

sonny steele LawnSite Member

I have two stihl four mix trimmers that have just stopped running within a month apart they act like they are not firing anybody had any problems with theirs got any suggestions?
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Stihl FS 110 that is a 4-mix. We had the same problem, we took it to our dealer and there was carbon build-up around the exhaust port. After they cleaned the port it ran like new.
  3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Probably just the valves need adjusting. They should need adjusting in the first 50 hours or so. Or if you bought them before April 05 they may need a coil over which should be covered by warranty.
  4. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

sounds like i need to get mine adjusted. i bought a fs 110 and a br 550 back in may and havent had the valves adjusted since.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

4 mix is not worth it . just get all redmax and be done with your trimmers not starting . all of my trimmers start on the 1 or 2 pull every time .
  6. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

4 mix is definatly worth it. better fuel economy and a heck of a lot more power, and you get to keep your hearing. better for the enviroment. my 4mix's start just fine. my blower can sit for 6 months and start on the first pull as well as the weedeater. like to see a 2 cycle do that and have the benifits of a 4mix
  7. Lawnworks

from usa

Have you had a 4-mix before? The 4-mixes need a one-time adjustment.

I simply cannot afford for my redmax trimmers to last just one season. I cannot afford for them to be waiting on a carburator for days b/c redmax has them on backorder. My 4-mixes have already outlasted my Redmaxes. If you cannot afford down time maybe you should afford a couple of back up trimmers... and that goes for every brand.
  8. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

The four mix engines on the 110 series have had a history of ign module issues. where you would actually see spark if you used a tested, but the timing is off internally in the module. we have done a bunch of these warranties at the shop. I would say that could be your problem.

or possible valve/carbon issues.
    We have some hugh stihl clients (brickman,etc) that were using cheap 2 cycle oil, and mixing just a tick to rich. and it will cause carbon build up on valves and cause them not to seal. this can be dteremined by doing a leak down test. We got them over to stihl or any other good oil (echo, husky,redmax) and they have not had any other valve issues since the change.

so my advice on the valves/carbon issues is, use a good air cooled rated 2 cycle oil from a major manufacturer and mix it dead on 50:1
    and get the valves adjusted maybe 2-3 times a year after the intial 10 hr adjustment
  9. Lawnworks

from usa

They last longer. A commercial trimmer should last longer than one season of heavy use.... Redmax hasn't figured that out though.

Do you even have any Stihl 4-mix equipment?
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Well, I have 10 Redmax machines. All have completed 3 seasons of hard commercial use, with no serious problems. One trimmer is starting to lose a little compression, so it may no make the 4th year.
    I sure can not complain about my Redmax equipment. I have never had Echo or Stiihl machines that were as troublefree as the Redmax.