4" or 6"

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by duckworth, May 8, 2014.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Rhett,
    I know what you mean by the heads sinking. I try to compact the soil underneath as best as possible but doesn't always work long term. So if you can see it will be a recurring issue go ahead and install the 6. Takes extra digging and sometimes cutting/gluing but I almost never see 6's overtaken.

2. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

touche, nicely played sir!

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

8 for St Augustine, 4 for the other grasses. 4??????? The other grasses are supposed to be kept at 3/4" or lower. Never see a 4" head swallowed unless the lawn is maintained incorrectly. Even a 2" is enough if the lawn is maintained right. A lot of my irrigation problems are solved by running the correct type of mower down to the right height of cut.

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

For sake of arguing :)

A). Always have your hand pump to pump out any excess water . If the soil can't support an angle of the head 1). Dig back more to expose more swing pipe. 2) install a marlex if needed 3). Compact more? A 5 pubs mini sledge hammer will do a heck of a job to compact .

B). Sure, but fixing a head angled 10% off increases the efficiency of the rest of that area by so many fold. . This negates any worry about what ever else it does as you have improved it so much any downfall should be a non worry . Find ways to make improvements that outweigh the pros vs cons in a time efficient cost effective manner

C) Flag the area you worked in . Visually show the homeowner, verbally explain and write out on the invoice . So if the head tilts in a month it shouldn't be your fault and you can charge your full amount for a simple repair. Not that this should be your mindset but documenting keeps you in the clear from warranty work.

Don't listen to college stupids ( oh I mean students) and keep trash out of our precious earth . Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

He is a democrat , he likes to be told what to do.

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

8, are there 8" heads?

I understand everything you're saying and agree butt you literally live in a different world than us, at least me. In my world there are no reel mowers, lawns are not graded smoothly & etc.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

1806 bodies with check valves come with no side inlet, and you can get them from Ewing. All the 1806 bodies I stock are either SAM or SAM-PRS, with no side inlet.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Mike Leary hack your account? :laugh:
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

10. deekay1622

deekay1622 LawnSite Member

Right now in droughty California, every news channel and newspaper is telling folks to let your grass grow taller. Sounds like a good idea, but a lot of times the taller grass blocks the 4" (really 3") spray height. I'd like to put in all 6" SAM's but $$$ does matter.

In case you haven't seen it all our Freeway signs have this displayed right now.

Freeway Sign Conserve water in drought.jpg